Now, that looks delicious, but...

That is incredibly expensive, but I can somewhat see where the price comes from. Think about it, they are essentially ruining an entire ribeye section to get this cap. So, they take a 15 lb. section of the best cut on the cow, cut off 2 lbs for the cap, and maybe another 3-5 lbs to sell as the ribeye "filet". The rest, 9 or so lbs (just guestimating), is either ground or scrapped, unless they sell it as beef back ribs. While it certainly is one of the best parts of the cow, it just seems like a very wasteful cut.

"Product ships frozen and will arrive partially thawed or chilled."

nope++

Werd. Lunacy at it's finest. Sad thing is, they are in buisiness because people will buy this stuff.

Well if I had enough money and tried just about everything there is on the planet I may just try it for the sake of trying it.

Some people got more money than brains I guess

Tough crowd!!!!

For those of you that don't know me, I'm Shane with Snake River Farms. Naturally, I have a few points to make in this conversation :-D

First - I know some of you think that you would have to be CRAZY to spend this much money on a piece of meat. However...I have to remind you that the same people buying this likely think YOU'RE crazy for having 3 BGE's, 4 UDS's, 2 Weber OTG's, 2 Thermapens (because of the speed differences in red and green) and a cupboard full of 83 different rubs. My point is...to each his own!

Secondly - honestly, I'm in this business, and this is the best piece of meat I've ever eaten, hands-down. Crazy good. And, as it's been mentioned, it's really expensive for us to produce, hence the price.

Finally - remember that this isn't a standard "steak". You wouldn't sit down and eat this whole (frankly that would be way too rich). Thomas Keller serves this at The French Laundry and the portion size is around 2-4 oz.

Ultimately - everyone has certain things that they're willing to pay for to get "the best". I have friends with home audio equipment that costs more than my car, but I can't hear the difference. I have other friends that buy bottles of wine or bourbon that cost more than I spend to take my whole family out to a nice dinner. And I have friends with more money in BBQ equipment than I have in my kids' college savings. But that's OK - it's their choice, and they wanted the best.

Can you imagine how you would feel if you farked it up while grilling it!

No offense but, even if I could afford something like that, I might still have to think pretty hard about it. I'm sure it's the best piece of meat on the planet, I'm just sayin'

Tough crowd!!!!

For those of you that don't know me, I'm Shane with Snake River Farms. Naturally, I have a few points to make in this conversation :-D

First - I know some of you think that you would have to be CRAZY to spend this much money on a piece of meat. However...I have to remind you that the same people buying this likely think YOU'RE crazy for having 3 BGE's, 4 UDS's, 2 Weber OTG's, 2 Thermapens (because of the speed differences in red and green) and a cupboard full of 83 different rubs. My point is...to each his own!

Secondly - honestly, I'm in this business, and this is the best piece of meat I've ever eaten, hands-down. Crazy good. And, as it's been mentioned, it's really expensive for us to produce, hence the price.

Finally - remember that this isn't a standard "steak". You wouldn't sit down and eat this whole (frankly that would be way too rich). Thomas Keller serves this at The French Laundry and the portion size is around 2-4 oz.

Ultimately - everyone has certain things that they're willing to pay for to get "the best". I have friends with home audio equipment that costs more than my car, but I can't hear the difference. I have other friends that buy bottles of wine or bourbon that cost more than I spend to take my whole family out to a nice dinner. And I have friends with more money in BBQ equipment than I have in my kids' college savings. But that's OK - it's their choice, and they wanted the best.

Shane - I appreciate you coming by to discuss this. I do think folks understand that there is a cost that you all are paying for this cut and are just having some fun with a thread. That being said, I do see a big difference between all of the comparative items you mentioned and this steak. They all have some amount of utilitarian value. This steak is meant to be consumed. If we were paying hundreds of dollars for one of the rubs you mentioned because of some rare spice found in it, now that would be a good (and funny) comparison.

Tough crowd!!!!

<snip>

SRFShane, Since I am the one that started this post, sorry if the responses including mine seem a little harsh. I mean, yes, while this looks like a great cut, it is very high priced and not in my or many budgets. Hell, I have a dream of buying some really nice Wagu steaks for a birthday dinner treat one of these years, but I have yet to pull the trigger. One of these days.

And I completely understand different choices for different people and that this cut is very special. I just went through some sticker shock when I read it. Bad enough that choice briskets are closing in on $50, $250 for a meat for four is way out there.

It's all good. I am sure someone will buy some. Just won't be me. :grin:

SRFShane, Since I am the one that started this post, sorry if the responses including mine seem a little harsh. I mean, yes, while this looks like a great cut, it is very high priced and not in my or many budgets. Hell, I have a dream of buying some really nice Wagu steaks for a birthday dinner treat one of these years, but I have yet to pull the trigger. One of these days.

And I completely understand different choices for different people and that this cut is very special. I just went through some sticker shock when I read it. Bad enough that choice briskets are closing in on $50, $250 for a meat for four is way out there.

It's all good. I am sure someone will buy some. Just won't be me. :grin:

Oh, hey, no worries at all! I just had to take the opportunity to give our side too! Mostly I just don't want folks to think that SRF is just some product for the ridiculously rich (even though a few of our products may be targeted at them :grin:)

All that said - maybe we should find a way to work one of these Cap of Ribeyes in as a prize for a Throwdown winner? :shock:

Hard for anyone with a thermopen to complain about those prices. Who am I to talk though. I have a $500 pair of bear claws, a three hundred dollar smoke generator, and a thousand dollar knife.

That is incredibly expensive, but I can somewhat see where the price comes from. Think about it, they are essentially ruining an entire ribeye section to get this cap. So, they take a 15 lb. section of the best cut on the cow, cut off 2 lbs for the cap, and maybe another 3-5 lbs to sell as the ribeye "filet". The rest, 9 or so lbs (just guestimating), is either ground or scrapped, unless they sell it as beef back ribs. While it certainly is one of the best parts of the cow, it just seems like a very wasteful cut.

I don't think that's the case as their Gold Prime Rib is "cap off".

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/shop-by-department/gifts/products/gold-grade-boneless-prime-rib/

Gold Grade Boneless Prime Rib

Our Gold Grade Prime Rib is our highest-graded roast and is more marbled, extravagant and delicious than any other roast we offer. Rarely available for direct purchase, Snake River Farms Gold Grade Prime Ribs are specially selected, perfectly aged and hand trimmed to create an amazing eye of ribeye (cap-off) roast.

That or they cut the loin into Ribeye "filets".

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/shop...gold-grade-ribeye-filet-8-oz-collection-of-2/

Gold Grade Ribeye Filet 8 oz - Collection of 2

Very Limited Supply!

The highest grade available from Snake River Farms, Gold Grade maintains the traditional flavor that American palates love, combined with the tender, buttery essence of Japanese Wagyu beef. Due to the marbling and unsaturated fat ratio, it is so tender and juicy it can be cut with just a butter knife. All Gold Grade cuts are specially selected, perfectly aged and hand trimmed. Each 2-piece collection includes:
  • Two 8 oz. Ribeye Filets

All that said, I have no problems with them doing this, though this is definitely out of my price range.

Oh, hey, no worries at all! I just had to take the opportunity to give our side too! Mostly I just don't want folks to think that SRF is just some product for the ridiculously rich (even though a few of our products may be targeted at them :grin:)

All that said - maybe we should find a way to work one of these Cap of Ribeyes in as a prize for a Throwdown winner? :shock:

I could fark one of those up real good if I won it. I would honestly feel awful if I didn't do it justice.

A couple guys I know are using this for "carpaccio of deckle". The dish costs in the neighborhood of $125 and it is a scant 3 oz of beef.

A certain NY Times critic called it 0rgasm1c.

I was stealing these off the ribeyes over 10 years ago. Albeit humble prime.

That being said. It is too rich for my blood, but I would own the throwdown that had it for a prize.

Back