Need help quick -finishing pulled pork in oven

slammmed

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I been been up all day and the pork butts 2x10lbs had 9 hours of smoke and great color and were reading 135 & 140 so I pulled them to wrap and bring inside for the oven so I could deal with the kids homework and dinner, Now they've stalled around 160(in the oven) and I've got to get some sleep for work tomorrow. What is a safe temperature so i can get through to the morning even if they are just close to pulling texture. Can I just set the oven to 190 and call it a day? It's a good oven so I'm fairly certain the temp is close.

I'm not sure what temp will get you thru till morning. Once it gets thru the stall it can start creeping up pretty quick. Recently I finished one in the oven but I set my thermostat to start beeping at 195. It served as an alarm clock for me. Once it was done I went downstairs and checked it was good I wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler and pulled it next morning.

I'm not sure what temp will get you thru till morning. Once it gets thru the stall it can start creeping up pretty quick. Recently I finished one in the oven but I set my thermostat to start beeping at 195. It served as an alarm clock for me. Once it was done I went downstairs and checked it was good I wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler and pulled it next morning.

Thanks unfortunately my thermometer doesn't have a set able temperature monitor. I guess it's time to finally invest in a chef alarm alongside my thermapen.

I've finished pork butts in a 325F oven wrapped in foil. They'll be done and tender in an hour or two.

Slammed, what time is it there ? What time would you be going to sleep ? What time would you be getting up ?

I've finished pork butts in a 325F oven wrapped in foil. They'll be done and tender in an hour or two.

Same here the only problem is that I haven't got the additional hour to let it rest and the pull it so if I can let it ride overnight I'll have time in the morning.

It's 1030 and I get up @5

Crank the oven up to the 325 that fiveskin mentioned and get the butts up to finished temp. Then wrap butts in foil and either place in a cooler or back in your oven (which has been turned off but still has some residual heat.)

The butts will hold for the 5 or so hours until you wake up.

I think you would be ok @ 190. I would get up a little early or in a few hours to check on temp. If you get up and they are done. You can back the oven down to 150 and go back to bed. Pull when you get up.

Thanks everyone I just checked and they are registering high 180s so I'm gonna let the 190 temp ride and let them rest in the ring while I get the kids ready. Anything nit rendered down I can just chop. Thanks again everyone!

If they are at 185+, then let them sit in the oven at 150 overnight, they will be great

I take it you are not over 50 yet, or you would already be getting up at 2am anyways

How hot was your pit? 9hrs & only at 140 I wouldn't be eating it, that his to long in the danger zone.

How hot was your pit? 9hrs & only at 140 I wouldn't be eating it, that his to long in the danger zone.

The pit was fine and was over 200 all the time. The buttes were partially frozen when I put them on and were 10+lbs each.

Back