• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren "By Brethren for Brethren" Throwdown

Lets see, I seem to have several of the required items on hand. Any extra points for the entry using the most?

If your voters include the Brethren that made the products you use, you could end up with their votes!

I too have several of the items that I'd really like to get into the picture for voting but I'm afraid it'd come out looking cluttered. :noidea:

I'll call Tom on Tuesday...I'm getting heat from a few other Brethren as well. Let the Spring re-stock begin!

Please do! I'm down to half a bottle of Big Butz Original & Cranberry is a distant memory. :eek:

I am fully loaded with Simply Marvelous, so that is the way I am gonna roll on this one. Not sure what I am gonna use it on though.

^^^^For not knowing that Platypusi can't run.

Oops... Wrong thread.

Great entries so far! Keep it up! Woo Hoo Atta boy!

Just a quick question since we make our own rubs and sauces and thats about all we use but we dont market it YET does our stuff count or do I need to send some out to folks (been meaning to do that anyway)?

Just a quick question since we make our own rubs and sauces and thats about all we use but we dont market it YET does our stuff count or do I need to send some out to folks (been meaning to do that anyway)?
Well, the intent of the TD was to show off some Brethren products available for others to purchase & use.
If you want to send some out for some brethren to use (& provide you feedback) I think that should qualify.

You'll have to excuse this entry. Time is a precious commodity lately and I have to squeeze these throwdowns in when I can. This is a really tough one. As it so happens, our daughter had a friend over last Friday and the weather turned warm(ish) for about a day. We thought we'd squeeze in a fire in the firepit. Now, it was quite dark outside and this is with the flash, but you get the idea.

IMG_1422.jpg

Now, these were not Brethren dogs (as you might be supposing), but it just so happens, that I had some sweet pepper relish made by one of our Sistren.

IMG_1419.jpg

The stuff is absolutely awesome. Well, I doused my dog with relish and ketchup and snapped a pic:

IMG_1421.jpg

Please excuse the sloppiness. It was overcast and everything was done in the dark. You can see, I almost missed completely with the ketchup, but ... Oh, yum! Well, someone told me that even though she is a member of this forum, it really is not in the spirit of the throwdown to be using a product made by your spouse, so I had to try something else. I'm traveling this week, so time was running out. As luck would have it, :rolleyes: we had an emergency dental appointment on Monday. The dentist happens to be located right next to the gourmet grocery store Bartucci's and I am very thankful this is nowhere near where we live, or I'd need a third job or fourth job. While there, I had my arm pleasantly twisted into getting a strip steak. I realized that I could actually turn this into an entry. Now I have two wonderful go-to rubs: Moose #2, which is wonderful on chicken, and Foil Hat Rub, which is my standby. Both of these are made by Brethren in high esteem! I treated this lovely little steak to the latter, along with a bit of parsley, some EVOO and ground pepper.

IMG_1428.jpg

I then grilled it hot and fast on the Oval, with a bit of cherry. After letting it set, I dug in...

IMG_1453.jpg

With a bit of luck, I can get the endorsement of the owners of the fine company that produce this product.

LucyAndMeWithHats.jpg

By Brethren...

for Brethren!

Today I smoked a butt & packer brisket (full cook thread can be found here).

The butt:

IMG_7324.jpg

& the brisket:

IMG_7326.jpg

& my TD entry:

IMG_7345.jpg

Brethren products used in the cook followed by (brethren name):

Rubs
Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub (Big Brother Smoke) - nice sweet rub with an incredible smell - used on the pork
Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub (Plowboy) - great all around rub - used on the pork
Plowboys BBQ Bovine Bold (Plowboy) - really nice on beef (I haven't tried it on other meats yet) - used on the brisket

Sauces
Big Butz Original (BigButzBBQ) - sweet sauce that seems be good on just about anything - used on the pork
Blues Hog Original/Tennessee Red - sweet thick sauce thinned down with the vinegary red sauce - used on the burnt ends & a little on the brisket sandwich

Injection
ButcherBBQ Brisket Injection (Butcher BBQ)
Mister Bob's pork injection recipe (with rub added) - not a commercial product but would like to give Mister Bob credit

Smoking Wood
Green Leaf BBQ Wine Infused Oak (Oakpit) - nice smelling smoke wood from the wine making process

Accessory
Frogmat (ribet69) - smoking mat used to allow the heat to flow around the burnt ends (instead of using a foil pan)

Thanks to all the brethren who produced these great products! :thumb:

G'Day Bruces':becky:

Well, here's my entry... the full thread can be found here.

I didn't have the brains to line up all the contributing condiments and rubs together with the finished dishes... so I'll just put in the photos I took with each of the usual suspects...

1. St.Louis Cut Spares with Simply Marvellous Spicy Apple Rub
DSC_0014_1799.jpg

2. Glazed with Big Butz No Butz Sauce:
DSC_0042_1817.jpg

3. Chicken wings with Simply Marvellous Pecan Rub:
DSC_0023_1806.jpg

4. Corn and Zucchini with Todds Dirt:
DSC_0027_1807.jpg

DSC_0028_1808.jpg

5: All the dishes prepared:
DSC_0077_1843.jpg

6: My TD Entry Shot:
DSC_0079_1845.jpg

As I mentioned in the thread... I could not have competed in this thread without the generosity of SmokeJumper, who brought all these ingredients over to me.

Also, Thanks to Mister Bob for his tutorial on St.Louis Cut.

Finally, thanks to Steph, Tom and Todd for producing such fantastic rubs and sauces. It makes BBQ'ing so much fun!

Cheers!

Bill

Gore, your steak has the official Baby Lulu Black Helicopter Seal of Approval! As soon as she finishes drawing it, I will post it.

Back