• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Enclosed Trailer Question

jrbBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to either buy an 2004 8x20 with a 7' inside height or a new 7x16 v-nose with 6'6" inside height for $100 more. Both of them have similar construction quality. As far as the size are there many advantages/disadvantages. Any feedback is appreciated.

bigger the better. they fill up fast :heh:

As long as your tow vehicle can handle the bigger trailer, I would say go bigger.

But, you may want to look at the entry forms for the comps that you plan on competing at. A lot of comps provide a 20x20 space, and the 8x20 trailer will probably be 25 feet long with the tongue, so you will end up paying for a bigger space.

how tall are you? for me, the 6'6" would require that I duck a bit...

I'm only 6', so the height isn't much of an issue, and I've thought about the 20x20 spaces.. That's bothering me a bit, I don't really want to pay the extra $50-100 for the 3 feet, but having 4 more feet inside would be nice... then again it's 7 years older. I guess it's not a bad decision to have to make, but which ever one I choose, I'm gonna be stuck with for a little while.

I'm 6'4" and went with a 7'6" interior. Reason being I didn't want any problems with lights or the AC unit hitting my head. Go bigger than you think you need.

Can I interest you in a 8.5'x24' Haulmark with AC and an awning?

What kind of smoker(s) are you going to be hauling? How many poeple on your team? Do either have A/C already installed?

I'm only using 2 wsm 22's and a weber otg, maybe a large bge (haven't decided on hauling it around yet) as far as people on my team.. it's gonna range anywhere from 1 to 7 depending on everyone's schedule.

oh, and neither one has a/c:mad:, but I have a feeling I'll eventually solve that problem.

JR - I'm pulling a 7 x 16 trailer now. I have 2 Superior SS'2, I've got cabinets acros the front, down the side another ~4 ft and a 24 x 24 inch fridge. It can haul all the stuff I need (and more that I don't :rolleyes:) and can sleep up to 3 in zero gravity chairs. If you want more room to be in the trailer, have some space to spread out, etc. I would hands down go with the longer trailer. It might seem like only 4 ft, but it would make a big difference for comfort. My next trailer will be 8.5 x 20 if not 24 (but then again, need the truck to pull it).

Oh, and sidebar question - what's the color? I'm pulling a black trailer and that thing can be HOT in the summer, even with AC if I'm not setup until late in the day. I'd look at a light color if at all possible.

They are both white... I have a chevy avalanche to pull it with, so that's not an issue.

8x20 loaded will be maxing out the avalanche I think. Part of the towing equation is surface frontage. I had an 8.5x16 and it would pull behind a 150 but it did suck gas. Of course a lot depends on installing refrigeration, etc. The vnose will save lots of gas but it is harder to plan out the interior and to store stuff.

The extra width is huge in being able to install equipment and still have walking room down the middle.

My advice, take a sheet of graph paper and draw the interior - get actual dimensions from inside. Add in wheel wells. Then draw some plans to see what fits and how.

As far as fitting in a 20' spot, the ramp door won't open in either case. So everything needs to be unloaded before parking it. Let's face it you're looking at larger spots anyway.

And if it doesn't have an awning attached, that's around 900 - less if you can install it yourself. Well worth the investment.

I have to agree with Ford, the amount you'd be looking at will be on the top end of the Avalanche's towing capacity by the time you load / build all you want into it. Run through some calculations to make sure.

As for spots, mine's barn door and usually there isn't a team behind me so I never have a problem loading in / out when needed. There is the occasional tournament where I have to deal with pulling the trailer up from the spot to unload cookers, but it usually doesn't take that long.

Back