BBQ Brethren "Happy Meal" Throwdown!

This meal just made me really happy, so I thought I should submit it.

:becky:

Picked up some nice thick chops

PC310005.JPG

Put a wet rub on them consisting of crushed garlic, white pepper & black pepper.
PC310006.JPG

Put the chops aside to soak in the wet rub, and grabbed the nice bell peppers I had picked up.

PC310001.JPG

I quartered these and remove the seeds. Then I tossed with garlic, olive oil and white pepper.

While the peppers are soaking, I lit the grill with lump & 1 small cherry log on indirect mode.

Once I had a good clean fire going, I added the food.

Peppers over the heat
PC310008.JPG

and chops off the heat.
PC310007.JPG

The peppers needed stirring constantly to keep from getting too black as the cook fast.

Bell peppers take on the best colors, taste, smells and flavors when roasted like this.
PC310009.JPG

PC310013.JPG

Sliced & diced
PC310015.JPG

PC310015.JPG

Once the chops were at 145 IT, I reverse seared them, and plated with the salsa. Since it is NYE, I also tossed some black eye peas and sauerkraut on the plate.

PC310024.JPG

PC310025.JPG

It was tasty.

Happy to be finally done with this cook...

Hope you have a couple hours to read this long winded post... If not, just look at the pics. :becky:

We went on a meat run yesterday and picked up a 15# package of butts and 12# CAB briskie. Haven't done a big smoke for a couple months and it sounded like fun. No big plans for the brisket yet, but the pulled pork stores well and can be used in a ton of cooks. When I put the briskie in the freezer, I found an 3.5# chuckie and a package of chuck "ribs" I had stashed a while back. Since I was planning on doing both butts today, I figured I might as well maximize the smoke so I grabbed and thawed them out. Here's a horrible picture that makes the meat look like I wet cured it in Fukushima beet juice... :tsk:

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Ready to roll...

edit_preview.php

The smaller one rubbed with the Jerk...

edit_preview.php

This one with the Yardbird...

edit_preview.php

Chuckie ribs with the Jerk and the chuckie roast with the 3EYZ...

edit_preview.php

Stoking up the Traeger to pi$$ off the downwind neighbors... :heh:

edit_preview.php

Loaded up...

edit_preview.php

Jerk butt...

edit_preview.php

Yardbird butt...

edit_preview.php

Chuckie...

edit_preview.php

"Ribs"...

edit_preview.php

Chuckie "ribs" coming off at 165 before going into foil.

edit_preview.php

I put them on for another couple hours and pulled and rested when they were butta tender. Here's a shot after resting in foil for about an hour. The chunk missing was one I pulled off with my fingers.

edit_preview.php

This isn't a good pic but I was trying to capture the image of the connective tissue that basically melted and turned into a SUPER tasty gelatin. I can honestly say this was the most tasty piece of beef I've had in I ages. :shocked:

edit_preview.php

Pulled for later...

edit_preview.php

Chuckie roast coming off before the rest in foil.

edit_preview.php

Pulled the chuckie roast after resting for an hour or so

edit_preview.php

Up close and personal

edit_preview.php

Skinny ABTs

edit_preview.php

Pulled the Jerk rubbed butt (didn't get the fresh off the grill shot of this or the Yardbird rubbed butt; like it matters :tsk:)

edit_preview.php

Up close and personal

edit_preview.php

And finally a plate of money shot yummy goodness. I drizzled a combo of Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red on the sammie, and added a side of Bush's Southern Pit beans and broccoli slaw with extra craisins for Gore's sake. Between the Bush beans and the broccoli I'm hoping this will also be a Happy Night as well. :becky: If not, at least I have ammo for a New Year's dutch oven. :heh:

edit_preview.php

Happy New Year to all of you farkers.... :thumb:

Delicious looking sammie, ... check.
Broccoli, ... check.
Toy, ... oops.
Nachos, ... double oops
Beans, ... really, beans?
Cute kid, ... C'mon, we know you've got one. :crazy:

Back to the kitchen with ya! :heh:

:doh::doh::doh:

Truth be told it was glory's last shot at a 2011 zero... :becky:

My Happy (new years) Meal

Here is my Happy Meal entry. Thanks for looking! :-D
I started by going to the farmers market to see if Big Mista was there so I could buy some of his new pork rub. Sure enough he was there and not at Knotts Berry farm. Thanks Neil!

DSC04072.jpg

Then I went to sams club to get some ribs.

DSC04073.jpg

Next I stopped at the local Red Car Brewery to get a jug of South Bay IPA.
This is made right down the street from my home.

DSC04111.jpg

Came home and started prepping baby back ribs. One rack I rubbed down with Big Mista's pork rub and the other two I made my own rub. (Thats the way the Misses likes it).

DSC04075.jpg

This rub has light brown sugar, kosher salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder.

DSC04068.jpg

DSC04078.jpg

Then I heated up the old Imperial Kamado and got the baby backs on the smoker.

DSC04090.jpg

While I was doing that the my better half stepped in and made the sides.
First she made cornbread. Yum!

DSC04084.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

Then she made a cherry cobbler. :-D

DSC04087.jpg

DSC04094.jpg

Then she made garlic mashed cauliflower. When I told her how much weight Gore had gained over the holidays she thought it would be a good idea to make at least one low calorie dish. :laugh:

DSC04092.jpg

DSC04097.jpg

DSC04098.jpg

DSC04099.jpg

Here is a photo of the ribs I put Big Mista's pork rub on.
These ribs tasted incredible. I really loved the rub Neil made. It is sweet with a little heat and a touch of cinnamon. I will be buying more of this in the future.

DSC04103.jpg

And here is my Happy Meal. I was happy with how everything turned out. Thanks to my Wife for making the sides and taking the photos of the progress and Johnny Bravo for standing in as my toy. :clap2: Happy New Years Brethren. :clap2:

Money shot!

DSC04113.jpg

Waiting for Gore's checklist....

Really? You don't have your own checklist? :tsk:

OK, then,
Delicious looking ribs, ... triple check.
Broccoli, ... Cauliflower? Fark, I need to get a ruling from the line judge, Bill! Does Cauliflower work?
Toy, ... check.
Nachos, ... :tsk:
Corn bread ... I take it from the label that is sweet corn bread. :rolleyes:
Cute kid, ... Ding, ding, ding. Very tasteful not having the cute kid in the money shot (apparently you're not going for the win though :heh:)

Looks like we have a contender!

Really? You don't have your own checklist? :tsk:

OK, then,
Delicious looking ribs, ... triple check.
Broccoli, ... Cauliflower? Fark, I need to get a ruling from the line judge, Bill! Does Cauliflower work?
Toy, ... check.
Nachos, ... :tsk:
Corn bread ... I take it from the label that is sweet corn bread. :rolleyes:
Cute kid, ... Ding, ding, ding. Very tasteful not having the cute kid in the money shot (apparently you're not going for the win though :heh:)

Looks like we have a contender!

This will be a tuff one to win with so many good entries already posted!

Back