View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
Once you get over 225 degrees, your meat is going to cook faster. Also, an oven thermometer on your grate may have helped determine what the true cooking temp is.

I had at oven probe on my ET-732 next to it. Is that not the true cooking temp?

When I was competing on my UDS's I actually built a 3rd rack for my diffuser, closer to where the fire box was and thats, where my claypot base went. This seemed to help with the temperatures.
I have been thinking about making a "hanging rack" for my claypot base. It will give me something to weld and heat up and bend. My charcoal bid is a pretty large one. It is 10" from the bottom grate. I didn't want the claypot that close to the heat on my 1st use and end up cracking it. So I put it on the unused 2nd rack.

I had a full 20# bag of charcoal loaded in it too. I haven't figured out how much to use for the amount of time I need to cook. I'll get better everytime I use it. I didn't have the center ring in it this time. It is supposed to even out the grate heat. I have not done any real tests using it. Only what I have read here on the Brethren.