• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cast iron or cast aluminum serving 'skillet' for

Q

Q_Egg

.... BBQ steaks, chops, burgers, etc. (maybe even breakfast!) I know there are a bazillion things out there, but some of the Brethren must have some they feel do a great job for the cost.

Is iron or aluminum a better bet for home use (forgetting cost)?

Are there easily overlooked issues to consider ?

What sizes and shapes are the most versatile?

Is there a clearly superior 'insulated' base material to protect the table?
---------------------------------

I just never want to serve 'cold' food again when it should be 'sizzling' hot!

If you just prefer to post a link, that is fine.

Many thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Cast iron rules - lasts forever and if treated properly becomes more and more non-stick after each use.

love my cast iron, not good for acidic based foods, go with a good calphalon or something for that. but i can cook my whole breakfast in one cast iron skillet. mine are close to 80 years old so.

I know Lodge makes Cast Iron Fajita Skillets with a wooden base. I can not think of anything comparable to that besides a restaurant "sizzler" platter, and I am not quite sure what those are made of.

For serving you should be resting your meat on a rack and then serving it on a warm plate or platter. If the platter is sizzling hot then you are still cooking it.

Thanks Brethren ... I just made a quick swing to some stores ....

..... and found some 'cheapy' aluminum things and then some great Lodge alternatives. One was a classic fajita oval with wood base (I would swear it was mahogany). One was a larger round version with no base, and they also had a rectangular version with raised grids on one side and flat on the other.
There are tons of bamboo and wood cutting boards out there which make perfect bases, and good silicon mats to stop slippage and handle heat, if desired.

I also discovered something totally different and got two in addition to the Lodge. It is a 17" oval from a company called Wilton ... made in USA ... it's called Armetale .... and is safe for cooking food up to 1000 degrees F. Non-tosic, lifetime warranty aganst breakage ... no rust or corrosion.

For any interested, I found these at Tuesday Morning for $23. after extra discounts. Reg. price is supposed to be $58.

Thanks for helping!

the round one is probably a comal(spelling) the mrs. uses hers for making tortillas and pancakes. also works great for hocakes and cooking home made bisquits in the oven.

(I would swear it was mahogany).

If the wood was heavy, I suspect it was lyptus. It's a forrested (farm grown) wood from south america that looks nearly identical to mahogany but it infinitely cheaper. Sucks to work with.

Cast iron is great if you want the material to hold a lot of heat... good for steaks, beans, stuff you're going to cook in the over over time. Copper and aluminum (hard anodized is better, I think, than cast aluminum) are better for things you want faster reaction to heat changes (sauces in particular). However, I like my copper stock pot a lot more than my coated cast iron one... looks cooler. :)

i like cast iron but it has some problems. its hard to get really clean if you want to because you really have to keep it coated with oil. i burn the seasoning off it from time to time leaving rust spots and its kinda cumbersome. recently i've been switching to circulon. i got a wok and a griddle. this stuff cooks great and is indestructable! give it a try.

phil

Back