Smoking Fish

Is It Ready Yet?

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Silly question...I have a friend that has asked me to smoke some mullet. I have a Spicewine and have only cooked pork, beef and chicken on the cooker. My concern is if I smoke the fish it could change the " seasoning" that I have gained and that if I cook other meats after, would I get a fishy taste. Anyone who smokes fish on the same cooker for other meats?

I have smoked mullet occasionally in small batches. Never changed the taste of the food I cooked after. I'm guessing you would have to do a lot before it would.

I have smoked fish on my WSM without a problem though I have heard of people that have. I figure if it is a problem, just smoke another fatty and give it a nice grease layer to cover it up.

Good mullet run this year on the east coast.Most people dont know that mullet dont eat other fish but plenty of other fish eat mullet.Never smoked it but did plenty of pan fries.Not an oily fish so I would assume a short brine and low short smoke should render good results.

i smoke Salmon on my Offset, no change in flavor, if you are concerned and want to make sure that no fishy flavor stays.. cook on a piece of foil. Just lay the foil on the grate, fish on top bring up the ends like a little bowl. This will ensure that the fish juices stay with the fish.. or in a pan..

Back