Pellet Envy cooking class

Reaction score
Has anybody taken this class??? Looking to take a class and they have one near me. With so many classes out there I don't know which one to choose since they are all relatively pricey for me. Does it rank in your top 10? Top 5?
Thanks in advance!

Don't take it! More competition for me.

Seriously, it is a great class and worth the money. Rod is also a real gentleman and will answer any question you have and doesn't hold back on the information, but you still have to cook the meat. Taking the class just gives you several steps up in learning. I took the class in the spring, and although no GC yet, have had several calls and good finishes in strong fields of teams. When I didn't get a call, it was my fault (sometimes poor quality meat to start with) and not the recipes or procedures you will learn in the class.

We are all forums, YouTube, and practice. A team that will allow you to help them a few times might help also. IMO comp classes are strictly for beginners. It took us 2 years before we got our 1st GC. Practice practice practice.

I've only done 2 contests but have had pretty good results. 8 place overall and 6 th overall. I am horrible at chicken and it has cost me some great finishes. Just looking to learn some new techniques and build on what I already know and am capable of. Thanks for your input Cayman.

Last edited:
Rod does a great job worth the money if you take good notes. Do what he says as he said it and you will reap the rewards. Start modifying what he shares will only put you back where you started. It has been very helpful to me and I have been competing for three years. I even sent my son this winter so he could hear first hand.

We took Rod's class back when he was tag teaming with Johnny Trigg. Both guys did a great job. I don't know how much Rod's class has changed now that he cooks on the Jambo, but when we took it he was using the FEC-100's and his timing was based around that cooker.

We took Rod's class back when he was tag teaming with Johnny Trigg. Both guys did a great job. I don't know how much Rod's class has changed now that he cooks on the Jambo, but when we took it he was using the FEC-100's and his timing was based around that cooker.

THATS the class I wish I could take!

We are all forums, YouTube, and practice. A team that will allow you to help them a few times might help also. IMO comp classes are strictly for beginners. It took us 2 years before we got our 1st GC. Practice practice practice.

It's good to know you are much better than everyone else who takes classes. Don't see how this related to the OP about the pellet envy class.

Highly recommended

I took the class Rod and Johnny Trigg did together in Yorktown, VA in March 2011 and I can assure everyone that it was not just for new competitors -- at least two teams in the top 50 for 2012 TOY were also there.

Rod is an excellent teacher who will provide you with complete details of his recipes, techniques and processes (he even compares what he used to do on the FEC with what he now does on the Jambo). I would highly recommend this class to anyone at any level.

It's well worth the money!
I took first in Pork in my first contest after taking Rod's class. that paid for half the class....

The class is taught well and Rod teaches many of those little techniques that step up your program. Take lots of notes and you can't go wrong!!

I may be going out on a limb here but I'd say Rod's classes have turned out more GC's than any other.

It's good to know you are much better than everyone else who takes classes. Don't see how this related to the OP about the pellet envy class.

It has to do with the OP because i posted in regard to the OP. leave the relevancy of my posts to the moderators, it's their job not yours. Nope your the one puttin words in my mouth bud. If you got the money to take the class, that's great, take it. You will learn something. I learn something new from good teams every Cookoff I go to. A comp class is Gonna teach you some stuff you didn't know and stuff you already know. Have spoken to many people via email or YouTube and some think classes are worth it. Some people don't. I have nothing against people wanting to further their education in the art of BBQ, but I do have a problem when people speak on my behalf. It's just my story of go we got decent in BBQ. It's not right or wrong.

Heres my thoughts .I have taken 2 classes. We had competed 3 yrs before taking Rods class.Had a few GCs but results were all over no consistency .After taking the class I think the GC to entry ratio is about the same but the top 10 ratio is much better. But the one thing that I thought was worth the trip was all the info on simplifying and shrinking down all of the unnecessary crap we hauled with. You learn methods that are repeatable day in day out. Your mileage may vary

It has to do with the OP because i posted in regard to the OP. leave the relevancy of my posts to the moderators, it's their job not yours. Nope your the one puttin words in my mouth bud. If you got the money to take the class, that's great, take it. You will learn something. I learn something new from good teams every Cookoff I go to. A comp class is Gonna teach you some stuff you didn't know and stuff you already know. Have spoken to many people via email or YouTube and some think classes are worth it. Some people don't. I have nothing against people wanting to further their education in the art of BBQ, but I do have a problem when people speak on my behalf. It's just my story of go we got decent in BBQ. It's not right or wrong.

The OP asked very specifically asked about the Pellet Envy class. Your post started very first referencing your bbq education background (not related to the Pellet Envy class), then moved to saying an option could also be to shadow a team to learn (again nothing to do with Pellet Envy), then saying how classes in general are strictly for beginners (nothing to do with Pellet Envy information there either), then it was wrapped up by saying when you got your first GC (zero Pellet Envy there).

Yes the mods can definitely do their job (its nice for you to point this out) and it's cool for folks posting things like this. Not every post in a thread is 100% about the subject, but since yours was 0% about what the OP asked it stuck me as odd. I did speak on your behalf I guess and I still stand by my inference of you post. Oh well.

And now since my words have nothing to do with the OP either..............

To the OP. I haven't taken his class, but saw Rod at a competition in GA this year and he was super friendly and willing to chat which is always a good sign. A lot of the teams I have talked to that try and take a class each year say his class should be at the top of my list. So it is one of a couple I want to do next year.

You are correct I did state some of my background to let the gentleman know that it's not completely necessary to Take a competition class to win. If you think that my post had nothing to do with the topic, your entitled to your own opinion. If ya got the money to do it, fine do it. I have every single piece of information from Myron mixons cooking class but have never used it. A buddy of mine took it and did worse at Texas cook offs trying his stuff. I like Myron and have nothing against rod, cook offs are crapshoots sometimes and even the good teams get the whamboom put on em also. So for you to nitpick what i have posted to make yourself look like some fearless leader get a clue. I was only trying to help the guy just in case he was weighing his options.

Mod Note:

All right boys... Let's quit bickering and get back to the topic at hand. The question was specifically about Rod Gray's class, not about the value of any competition cooking class.

BTW, we moderate to the "three post rule" in Q-talk. One or two off topic posts are not a hijack, but three is (are?). We've now past the three post limit. So... Back on topic.

Great class. Worth every dollar. I took Rod's class when he was with Johnny Trig 5 years ago. The next week we cooked a contest. First place ribs, first place pork, third place brisket, (chicken 13th) . Finished with our first GC! Your results may vary. There was no big thing I learned, but lots of small things that add up.

Chris

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz
Back