View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

I lived in Tucson for ~15 years so, a couple of my favorites are:

Sparky's in Hatch, NM. It should be on your way to Tucson and will cut off a bunch of Las Cruces traffic (assuming you stick to the Interstate highways, Hatch will also cut the milage since it veers towards El Paso). Green chili hamburgers are very good but, in fairness, you can get them in the Northern part of the state too!

Sonoran Hotdogs in Tucson, AZ should not be missed. El Güero Canelo and BK's are the two 'legendary' places to go. Be sure to visit the both locations on South 12th Avenue offset from I-19 towards the airport between Valencia and Irvington. The area is a bit 'working class' but, I never had any problems there when the Sun was up personally though it can be a bit rough at times. These are the authentic classic Sonoran Hotdogs, unlike some of the newer concoctions sold elsewhere that should be banned for using the Sonoran Hotdog reference (doesn't the EU have an area of origination to cover things like this?).

In Tucson, there is a ton of really great Mexican restaurants and, I mean REAL MEXICAN, not TexMex or any other bastardization. South 4th, North of I-10 and West of I-10 after the turn towards Phoenix, has a ton of really good options. I frequented Micha's Restaurant a lot during my lunch hours. There are some famous places around town as well but, I typically preferred the family-run 'hole in the wall' places near neighborhoods and strip malls.