• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

42" RF Smoker Build

I didn't know they made high temp primer. I would be pissed. You need to have him reblast the inside just incase the paint/primer starts to flake off. You need bare metal so you can season the metal with oil kinda like you would with a dutch oven.

Ok, misunderstood him. It is bare metal. He is going to order high temp primer for the outside.

They don't make high temp primer. If you talk to any professional paint shop they will tell you to make sure the metal is clean and use only high temp paint, no primer. I have painted many a smoker with just high temp paint and had no problems.

They don't make high temp primer. If you talk to any professional paint shop they will tell you to make sure the metal is clean and use only high temp paint, no primer. I have painted many a smoker with just high temp paint and had no problems.

They do make it it's just expensive. Go to the drop down menu where it says "Size and Color."

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Xtreme-Temperature-Coating.html

I talked with the sandblaster/painter today for a while and we decided on doing it like you are talking about. He is going to give it a once over with the sandblaster then paint it with high-temp paint only.

Finally got back from the sandblaster with the cooking chamber tonight. It looks really good. Since this pipe has been in the ground for years, the surface is pitted. It doesn't bother me, I think it gives it character :tongue:

SmokerBuild1-27-12.jpg

I still don't see that its a primer. Good high heat paint is expensive. I don't remember what i have paid for mine but I know it was over $100 a gallon. The fire box is the only place the paint will come off. I just give it a spray of oil when it cools down.

Looking good. But don't care for the hinges they probably wont last very long, next time make your hinges out of pipe and rebar they will last forever.

Looking good. But don't care for the hinges they probably wont last very long, next time make your hinges out of pipe and rebar they will last forever.

I thought about that, but have used these hinges before with very good luck. They are much nicer than the hinges I have found at local hardware stores:

Weldable Hinges

Had a productive welding day:

SmokerBuild1-28-12.jpg

SmokerBuild1-28-12A.jpg

SmokerBuild1-28-12B.jpg

SmokerBuild1-28-12C.jpg

Still have the shelves to build, heat diffuser to install, cooking grates to build, lots of grinding, and a propane starter to install.

I had the afternoon off, so I did some welding. Got the bottom and front shelf on:

SmokerBuild1-31-12C.jpg

SmokerBuild1-31-12D.jpg

Got the cooking grate welded up (still need to put a handle on it):

SmokerBuild1-31-12E.jpg

Got the heat diffuser installed:

SmokerBuild1-31-12F.jpg

SmokerBuild1-31-12A.jpg

And, finally, I got a latch welded on the firebox:

SmokerBuild1-31-12B.jpg

I still have to get the cover put on the smokestack, air vents on the firebox, handle on the side and the final grind/cleanup.

i run out of space on a 28 x 58 inch grill, i would def try to get 28-30 inch pipe, more than that and then it get a little deep if if you dont have pull out shelves. damn dont mind me i read first page only didnt realize it had 4 pages or the dates, lol ok im retarded and new.
one thing though on the slide out part for the cooking surface take 2 3" pieces of 1" angle and weld them upside down at end of slide to stop shelf from falling out, gimme a min ill take a pic of the pit im building now

Back