View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

The ONLY reason I even put a thermometer in my butts is to tell me when to start probing for tenderness. That's it. Once they reach around 180 I'll sometimes even pull out the thermo and turn it off because I'm only looking for tenderness from that point on. Temperature means very little when it comes to done. I've had some butts be ready at as low as 180-185 and some took until 205. Bottom line, I yank mine off the smoker when and ONLY when the meat gives no resistance to pushing the probe in. It should feel like pushing through warm butter.

Someone posted a great side-by-side photo on here a while back (Lakedogs?) that perfectly showed white vs blue smoke.

I don't always foil butts (I like it when the bark's good and black), but when I'm cooking for someone else I definitely will. Truth is, I usually do. When the bark gets where I want it, I'll double foil (this usually happens just after or around the stall) and then let them ride until they reach around 180 (see above) and then start sticking them.

The foil will help "steam" the meat and will help them cook a little faster. It will also help get to that perfect tenderness quicker. Also, when you reach tenderness, then you can just yank 'em, cooler them and let them rest. If you can't unwrap the butt, grab the bone and lift it cleanly out of the meat with no effort.......then the butt isn't done enough. THIS is my opinion, of course.

Thanks from:--->