Best Tool for each meat at Competition?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I see from the pictures of events that many teams use more than one type smoker/grill for competition.

This gets me to thinking that there might be a certain consensus among the competetive teams on what smoker/grill is best for each meat.

So I pose this question, if cost or space were not considerations, what do/would you use for each meat category?

Depends on how important sleep is to you.

IMHO, There is no best, its what works for the pitmaster. I use the WSMs for the overnight cookers and fire up the stickburner in the morning for the chicken and ribs.

but, hey, sleep is over rated anyway.

Its probably has due to temps and flavors. Cooking chicken at higher than a brisket. Using apple on pork vs cherry on brisket.

I think I would stick to my Backwoods and WSM. Maybe look at a pellet.

Stick burner for brisket, butt and ribs. A WSM for chicken.

I cook everything in the same cooker which is now my stumps clone. It works well because the bottom shelf near the fire is a little hotter than the rest of the cooker and that is where i put chicken.

I cook everything in the same cooker which is now my stumps clone. It works well because the bottom shelf near the fire is a little hotter than the rest of the cooker and that is where i put chicken.

You don't even use the Weber kettle to crisp the skin and finish the chicken?

You don't even use the Weber kettle to crisp the skin and finish the chicken?

In my experience tender bite through skin is better than crispy skin. Dont get me wrong, crispy skin is good, but I dont think it is necessary to win.

Chad and I only used his wonderful Kingfisher for a long time. Temp "up" for brisket and butts, then "down" for ribs and chicken.
Chicken finished off on a hotter grill area for the last little bit.

Now, the FEC is the machine and it works great all by itself.
Or, it will when I fine tune my operator skills :oops:
We cook brisket and butts with a hickory blend, then change over to a mixed fruit wood blend for ribbies and chickie. Easy Peasey with the FEC.

I will know more about how it works for a comp in a couple of weeks.

Multiple cookers sound really great, and we started with the Bandera and a WSM or two. But, it can get confusing keeping up with it all till you get the hang of it.

Different approaches for different folks and they all seem to work.

TIM

In my experience tender bite through skin is better than crispy skin. Dont get me wrong, crispy skin is good, but I dont think it is necessary to win.

True statement, for sure.

TIM

I am using my Stumps for Brisket and Ribs and use my Weber kettle for Chicken....works like a dream.

i use my stick burner for everything. But as my comp schedule has increased I've found the desire for something that will help with the over night cooks.

i use my stick burner for everything. But as my comp schedule has increased I've found the desire for something that will help with the over night cooks.

I used to be in this same boat. That is why I built a stumps clone. My stick burner works great and I cooked everything in it, but man, I gotta get some sleep too.

i cook everything in my large spicewine just gotta figure your timing the rest is cake work

trash cans for every thing

Hey Bubba guess you could say your cash/winnings ant nothing but trash. You do remember The Steve Miller Band, don't you?

Are you going to Sedalia, next weekend?:

I cook everything in the Spicewine but may bring a weber to cook something for myself.
Dave

Chad and I only used his wonderful Kingfisher for a long time. Temp "up" for brisket and butts, then "down" for ribs and chicken.
Chicken finished off on a hotter grill area for the last little bit.

Now, the FEC is the machine and it works great all by itself.
Or, it will when I fine tune my operator skills :oops:
We cook brisket and butts with a hickory blend, then change over to a mixed fruit wood blend for ribbies and chickie. Easy Peasey with the FEC.

I will know more about how it works for a comp in a couple of weeks.

Multiple cookers sound really great, and we started with the Bandera and a WSM or two. But, it can get confusing keeping up with it all till you get the hang of it.

Different approaches for different folks and they all seem to work.

TIM

Wow, I've missed a lot. Welcome to the dark side Tim!

Rod

Wow, I've missed a lot. Welcome to the dark side Tim!

Rod

Beleive me, I am SO glad to be here :lol:

First comp with the FEC went well except we screwed up the timing :oops:
Hope to have that corrected next week.

The FEC rocks for Que at comps or at home!

TIM

Back