This weekend's projected cook - 1st brisket

Visit Sam's first because the one by me only sells flats for about $3 lb and the local mom and pop is $1.78 lb for packers.

Good advice here. It is obviously regional as to availability, but I thought here in Texas I would be able to get choice packers at either Sam's or Costco. Sam's only has choice flats while Costco has choice Packes and Flats. I put my stock in Costco, but things could be different elsewhere.

Why buy the cow if you can get a "look see" for free? Check them out. Most times they don't even really look for the card when you enter. It is when you purchase they need it. Go in, look around, and find out what you like.

Still hoping for a restaurant depot near here

Remember that here in Tennessee, "BBQ" is synonomous with "hickory-smoked BBQ"!

Seriously, though...As much as folks rave about pecan, I once smoked a brisket with pecan instead of hickory and it just wasn't as good. I'd suggest trying a mix of hickory, oak, and apple/cherry, but that's me.

I noticed you're planning on cooking at 275 degrees. Are you gonna wrap in foil after the meat reaches 160?

Even though I rarely wrap pork butts until I pull them off the pit to rest, nowadays I either put briskets in a pan or wrap in foil after it reaches 160 in the thickest part of the flat. This is my "juicyness insurance", as ever so often I'll have one that's a little dry in the flat when I cook 'em the same way I cook buttes, which is with a target temp a little lower, around 235.

Good luck!
Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller

Like BBS, I like to mix the woods too. A little Oak, hickory and apple would be my choice.

Good look with your brisket:!:

I would do a check at Sam's first also. I have 2 in my area. One doesn't even have briskets and the other carries choice flats but select packers.

Best of luck on the brisket! Can't go wrong with Oak, but enjoy whatever you end up using.

Now my mouth is starting to water..... 14 hours! that is a lot of beer.

I'll throw in my best wishes for success and a resounding vote for cherry (at least for part of the cook). We love it on brisky and usually start with cherry then some pecan, oak or Ol' Hick and you've got fine eatin' heading your way! Hope you're well stocked on stogies for the long hours of cooking and drinking that lie ahead!

I'll throw in my best wishes for success and a resounding vote for cherry (at least for part of the cook). We love it on brisky and usually start with cherry then some pecan, oak or Ol' Hick and you've got fine eatin' heading your way! Hope you're well stocked on stogies for the long hours of cooking and drinking that lie ahead!
Stogies, check:

Attachments

• humi.jpg
    humi.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 53
Back