• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need some edge-u-muh-cating on Chuckies

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been reading for quite some time that people cook either brisket OR chuck roast for chopped beef sammies. I've never smoked a chuck roast before. But for those who have is there any "do's and don'ts" I need to know and anything different from it and smoking a brisket? Thanks in advance!!!!

With a chuckie, it seems to be the consensus to cook it until it has the color you like and then pan and cover with a little added fluid (Broth, beer, water, etc.) and cook it until it pulls. Pretty straight forward.

Like butts and brisket.....just smoke it till it probes tender.

Last one I did was panned in broth, carrots, potatoes and onions just after the stall.

Always enjoy a slow and low cooked chuck roast.

This one was coated with Slap Yo Daddy beef-hot version rub.

Kettle Pot Roast.:becky:

roast-2.jpg

Chuck has always been my favorite. Been cooking them for over 30 years, just not on a smoker until the last three or so. I let mine go for smoke til they reach 160 then pan with the braising liquid of choice at the time and a few onions, taters and carrots. Sometimes I'll pull when it's still at the perfect slicing texture before it becomes pulled beef.

Like so...

meatntaters.jpg

Lots of good advice so far. Only thing I can add is that if you plan on smokin it all the way thru the cook (and not panning w/liquid) be sure to look for one with some nice marbling throughout. It'll make for a more moist and tender roast. You're gonna love it either way though, smoked chuckies are great!

I usually find them in the just-under-5-pound range. That said, I cook them exactly how I would a boston butt, except the injection and rub is tailored for beef vs. pork. Mind you, a 5lb chuckie is much less thick than a 9lb butt. Where the 9lb butt takes right at 9 to 9.5 hours for me, the chuckie is less than 5, more like 4 to 4.5 hours... I tend to smoke it for about 3 hours then wrap it in foil for the last little while and let it rest for an hour or so to re-hydrate (like a butt). When done properly, the pulled beef has many of the wonderful characteristics that the pulled pork has, but it's BEEF. :) Leftovers (I'm having trouble the last few years having any of these) make wonderful brunswick stew.

I don't pan and broth, that is pot roast. Okay, I pan and broth when I want pot roast. But, for pulled beef, I look for a thick cut, 3-5 pounds, or more, and smoke just like a butt. I will pull when I can break off a piece and it comes easily away. It can take longer than a brisket of the same size.

Is the term "pot roast" and "chuck roast" the same cut of meat?

Typically, but as Guerry said, "pot roast" doesn't HAVE to be chuck roast.

We almost always use "chuck roast" when we do crock pot "pot roast" with taters, carrots and the like. That's also what my Dad always does.

Basically, I find that chuck roasts will dry out pretty easy, which is why many foil or pan with some moisture.

The BEST pulled chuck/beef that I ever had was done using the Peppered Stout Beef recipe. Here's a thread I put up about it. UNBELIEVABLE!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137828

Jesus I can't believe I forgot to mention Pepper Stout Beef in my earlier post!:doh: That is a kick a$$ way to do chuck as well!!

Yeah. I'm gonna have to try that one. One of the reasons I usually pan my chucks is I can hardly ever find any over 2.5 ~ 3 LBS around here and I'm affraid of drying them out.

Back