Cook-Off Exotic question?

C

CritterCrusher

Hello all,

I would like to ask all of you for some suggestions. I am attending a cook-off in a couple of weeks and need some ideas on what to prepare. It will be in the Exotic category in which I need help and the rule states the following.

Exotic category – wild hog meat must be prepared any way accept barbecued.

I am also entering the BBQ category but I am stumped on the exotic. I have thought about frying but really don’t have that good of a batter.

Thanks

I'm thinking injected, then deep fried wild hog carnitas. Then hit with a nice rub right outta the oil, or better lard. Some corn tortillas and a spivy red salsa. Don't know if that follows rules or not.

I think Bob has got and I got it to. I would add Grilled tomatos,onions, Green Chiles with cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.

Pete

I'm thinking chili or jerky, (but that may be on everyones mind too).....Depending on how that definition of barbecue holds up, how about Kalua Pig? Stuffed with garlic marinated in all those Asian spices, then wrapped in banana leaves and baked in your cooker.

I have also seen it with banana leaves and then an outer wrap of foil, which also may help break the "barbecue" definition.

I keep reading this thing and all it says it that it can't be barbecued and meat only. I know fried will work unless I do something in a dutch oven.

Did a small wild hog back hind quarter last year for the exotic entry. Smoked it and wrapped it at any other piece of pork until fork tender. Pulled it all and mixed with my rub. Grilled hatch chile's and some queso fresco to make "wild hog hatch quesedilla's" on a griddle in the smoker. They were GREAT!

Back