I Pooped, I Cooked, I Ate.

Are you all done?:cool:

I ABSOLUTELY knew I was going to catch grief about getting a pooper. Even expected it. So go ahead, we can have the fun. :tongue: I knew it was coming and I will join in too. Even I look at the FE and say.. 'never thought this day will come'. Geeez, I am getting emails about hell freezing over from people who I don’t know if I know, and are not members! (That I know of).:confused:

Here’s my perspective. First, remember what we say here at the Brethren, THERE IS NO ONE WAY. In the past 25 years, I have cooked on offsets, reverse flows, bullets, cabinets and gassers. I have yet to cook on 3 things. Pellet cookers, Eggs and UDS. Now, tell me, What makes A Pitmaster? I believe one of the traits is the ability to cook on ANYTHING. That being said, in today’s world the poopers exist, and I am adding that to my resume. I will learn to cook on this beast and then decide in what world I will use it in. Backyard? Maybe. Competition? Maybe. Or I may just sell it off after I get some time behind the wheel. But it’s one more stamp on the side of my Bandera and Backyard Chef, which will always be my cornerstone.

Has my stance on thermostatically controlled pits in competition BBQ changed? NO. If anything, it was re-enforced the first day I used the FE. I set the controller, hit start and it fired up. 15 minutes later, 250. Yes, I walked away shaking my head saying 'that’s just not right(but pretty cool), and it has no place in competitions.'
THATS MY OPINION AND THAT IS ALL IT IS. It is NOT cheating. It has NO reflection on the person using it. It has no bearing on how good or great you can cook.... And it is legal. I just don't think we should use thermostats(including gurus and stokers. Keep in mind I run a stoker on my spicewine and WSMS. ) I respect all arguments within the 2-3 schools of thought in that topic, and I would prefer not to reopen the debate. To me, there is no issue. its here, its legal, and its will be always be out there. We operate within the rules set forth by KCBS or whatever sanctioning body we cook under. We will cook on whatever we want to cook on within the rules. I hope thats enuf not to get flamed straight to hell form any of the schools. If this thread get hijacked to the same old debate, i have asked the mods to keep is scrubbed.

The very first thing I learned this week is that the FE has its own characteristics that need to be understood. Believe me, the first batch of meat I put in there came out pretty bland. It is NOT just put in the food and walk away the way I originally thought. You MUST know how this pits works in order to produce good BBQ by our standards. Like any cooker, it needs to be mastered.

Honestly, as of yet, I can’t say I am liking this thing yet. As good of a cooker that it is, It’s just NOT what I have grown to love about our craft. The therapy, the tweaking of the fire, the diddling and fiddling. But, on those days that I don’t want to diddle, it’s a cooking machine. Set it, and go do what other things need doing. It all depends on why you are making Q. I cooked all day(all week) and not once smelled like smoke. My hands were clean. I was bored, but got other stuff done. It’s a state of mind.

One thing I noticed, the product does not have the depth of flavor of a stick burner, or even the charcoal burners. I am told that’s somewhat of a trait to deal with. Smoke rings are difficult so far also, but I know they are attainable.

My family is undecided. Some stuff they like because of the lack of smokiness. Ribs they thought was somewhat bland, but chicken was 'to Smokey'.. I am keeping in mind that I am going light on seasonings and rubs so I can learn the smoking characteristics of the pit and not be masked by the rubs or sauces. (nothing has been sauced). So they may just not be used to 'just the meat'.

I am currently using trager and cookshack pellets. Pelletheads have told me that BBQrs delight are the pellets to use and I will be getting a pallet of those soon to hopefully improve my results. The results achieved over this past week have improved significantly, but I know I have a long way to go before I would bring this to the Royal.

So ladies, you all can abuse my arse all you want and I will continue to learn this cooker and expand the breadth of knowledge here and in my pit area. That will be the purpose of this thread. To document the voyage to Pelletville and maybe help someone decide if they really want to buy one. When we were the BANDERA BRETHREN and there were only 40 members, I was the first of us to get the 1200lb Klose Backyard Chef. The trials and tribulations of my learning curve on that pit are documented in this forum somewhere. A similar thread exists for the delivery of MOAB and also when you folks got me my spicewine(THANK YOU!). Now I have yet another cooker to learn and add to the arsenal. :icon_cool

I'm going for the ride, and accept the finger jabs in my ribcage while you poke all the fun you want. I know.. I did it to me, so I'll take one for the gipper. :mrgreen:

All this being said
at the end of the day,
I have
one more toy

And he who dies with the most toys win. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:mrgreen:

For those interested, it weights in at 415 lbs. Rolls super easy and has the capacity a little larger than a medium spicewine, or maybe twice that of the bandera. it has 4 shelves. A shelf can fit 3 racks of ribs or 4 butts. or 2 small briskets, 2 large chickesn, etc.. Capacity is pretty good.

Did you notice the revised Brethren logo??????

Logo.jpg

hmmm.
not funny
nope.:twisted:

He's so ashamed, he hasn't even updated his sig.

A HAAAAA!! My Pig headed one. I knew that would be caught one day but alas, it has been updated for some time now.

highlight the entire sig. :cool::biggrin: look at the end.

Really, anyone using a thermostatic control (Guru, Stoker, etc.) should stay out of any "pellet pooper" debate. I have a lot of respect for Phil's position on comp cooking that is is really a question of thermostatic control. It is so ironic and sometimes hypocritical that folks don't jump on the anti-Guru bandwagon as much as they do pellet cookers.

Really, anyone using a thermostatic control (Guru, Stoker, etc.) should stay out of any "pellet pooper" debate.

My thoughts exactly. I'd prefer no plug-ins be allowed in contests and don't use any of them but that's a debate for the comp thread. I'm keeping this one to documenting Phil's trip to the dark side.

My thoughts exactly. I'd prefer no plug-ins be allowed in contests and don't use any of them but that's a debate for the comp thread. I'm keeping this one to documenting Phil's trip to the dark side.

Yeah, what a farking sellout.

Awh H*ll, where do they sell these things, couldn't hurt to give em a good look.

FWIW.............I cook on stick burners in weather above 20 degrees F.
I use a small electric Cookshack when its -20 to -30 below because......
1. The snow is usually knee dee.
2. The farking wind is blowing a steady 30+ mph.
3. Getting older, doing firefighting for 30 years will definately leave your body in less than pristine condition.
Industrial strength Motrin 3Xday is my friend and keeps me moving here.

Phil, cook away on your new pellet pooper.

Adapt, overcome and improvise is the creed of the Marine Corps.

It also applys to us senior citizens............me Phil..........not you!

Going to my room now.

ok.. now THATS going to be hard to keep at 250.

tonights fleshy victim..

Large Salmon fillet with Apple pellets. I will admit, the convenience of the FE is great. its after 6. Normally, under a time restictions, I would be grilling this, but the FE will be hot just as fasts as my larger DCS grill. It definately has its advantages. At home, its like lighting the gasser, and in a contest it would equate to being able to concentrate on other things, or just go hang out.

Ok.. Question for Pellet heads. I have bags of chips VERY SMALL chips. Uniform and about 1/4 inch. Can these be added to the hopper in small amounts? Only reason I ask is I have bags of Alder which will go well with the salmon.

next question.. anyone know the fan size on the 2007 model. It blows like crazy. I am wondering if a smaller fan would give in a way less efficient combustion(blow less, but still clean), which would be more smoke and less convection.

I think the fans inside the firepot. It cycles on/off to hold temps but sometimes I see that thing REALLY blowing. i havent gotten into the guts of the Fe to see how it ticks yet.

i ask this becase I notice i get better smoke flavor on my spicewine when I use the 10 CFM fan instead of the 25CFM withthe stoker. Was wondering if anyone ever had similar experience with an FE.

BTW..before someone thinks im nuts, NO, i am not looking to mod the FE just yet.

We just inhaled the brisket flat I made last night. I hate to admit it, but thanks to barbefunkoramaq's Brisket thread, I think the brisket I just made was better than any I made all last year.

then again, it can also be because i haven't had brisket since before the royal last Oct. :mrgreen:

brisket was Hickory/cherry mix. Started at 160-165 for 2-3 hours, then pushed to 250 to finish. No smoke ring to speak of, but excellent flavor. the wife is walkig around..'amazing.. thats from the pellet popper?" <--yes.. she said POPPER.

its not a 'smokey' flavor, but alot of 'wood' flavor. I think the salmon may wait till tomorrow since we just finished the entire flat and a load of texas toast.

Attachments

• IMG_1305[1].jpg
    IMG_1305[1].jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 126
Stretch that 160-165 out to 6-7 hours and you'll have all the smoke ring you ever wanted. Nice job on the brisky!

Back