• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

CyberCook - App for the BBQ Guru CyberQ

besides, really, it's only $9.99.. how many times have we all bought a rub or sauce for around that much just to try, and when we didn't like it, oh well, no big loss. Not much of a gamble here.

Yeah, true, but in a world where most apps are a buck or two, $9.99 seems expensive.

But, if it works as advertised, it looks to be worth it. I like the interface and features and will probably give it a shot, but I do have a question...

Does it require a connection to the Internet or will it work either over a local wifi network (my own access point in the trailer) or in ad hoc mode (iPad and CyberQ only)?

Thanks!

I hate to admit it, but when Mark (the creator) of the program first told me he was working on it, and had a rough prototype, I went ahead and bought the cyberQ, Router, and Ipad. Yup, it was a high dollar gamble, but paid off. I was fortunate that he listed and applied my ideas to that program. I wanted it to be not only very user friendly to the competitor, but actually provide valuable information.

Also, another neat feature, is that the pit temp on the Ipad is in color green when it is at setpoint. if it's out of range, it'll show up either blue or red. So, the nice thing about that, is you can just half-way wake up to look at it, squint, and just see that it's green and you know you're good. you don't need to fully look at the numbers to figure your pit temp. (I'm lazy, like my sleep, love this feature)

Also, another neat feature, is that the pit temp on the Ipad is in color green when it is at setpoint. if it's out of range, it'll show up either blue or red. So, the nice thing about that, is you can just half-way wake up to look at it, squint, and just see that it's green and you know you're good. you don't need to fully look at the numbers to figure your pit temp. (I'm lazy, like my sleep, love this feature)

I like stuff like that, too. If I can look at it and quickly tell that things are going well, that's what I need most of the time.

One note for Mark... the link on iTunes for Cybercook Support goes to a web site that doesn't appear to have anything related to Cybercook. At least I couldn't find anything.

Yeah, true, but in a world where most apps are a buck or two, $9.99 seems expensive.

But, if it works as advertised, it looks to be worth it. I like the interface and features and will probably give it a shot, but I do have a question...

Does it require a connection to the Internet or will it work either over a local wifi network (my own access point in the trailer) or in ad hoc mode (iPad and CyberQ only)?

Thanks!

I works over it's own wifi on the cyberQ. One MAJOR FLAW with the cyberQ, is that it hardly wants to transmit when it's close to metal. Yes, I know, all pits are made of metal, and this thing needs to be close to the pit out of nature of a guru, so I hope Guru gets this issue worked out. I have my smoker outside, and I have my Ipad in the fifth wheel, so since there's a ton of interference to the guru->Ipad, I have a router in my trailer, and my I.T. guy set it up for me.

I've heard that Guru has made some improvements in the cyberQ over the past year, but I don't know what those are. Basically, if you can get the CyberQ to connect to the Ipad, then the cybercook program will work.

$9.99 may be a little high compared to the common priced app, but really.. games, etc. run $4.99 on up, and this tool is actually really useful compared to a lot of apps out there that are similarly priced just for entertainment. I first told him he should charge $20, but he didn't want to. Knowing what I know now, I'd pay $20 for it. Also, I know he has put in a lot of time programming this app, and putting up with all my suggestions :becky:.. $9.99 is more than fair in my opinion.

Just in the nature of things, there will be a few people who won't like it for whatever reason, but the ones that do, will find it's 10 bucks well spent.

I am looking forward to hear what people think. If you are still on the fence about it, I will be using it all this season too, so if you see me out there, ask me about the program and I'll show it to you.

Ron_L, thanks. I'll ask Mark about it..

One note for Mark... the link on iTunes for Cybercook Support goes to a web site that doesn't appear to have anything related to Cybercook. At least I couldn't find anything.

I works over it's own wifi on the cyberQ. One MAJOR FLAW with the cyberQ, is that it hardly wants to transmit when it's close to metal. Yes, I know, all pits are made of metal, and this thing needs to be close to the pit out of nature of a guru, so I hope Guru gets this issue worked out. I have my smoker outside, and I have my Ipad in the fifth wheel, so since there's a ton of interference to the guru->Ipad, I have a router in my trailer, and my I.T. guy set it up for me.

I've heard that Guru has made some improvements in the cyberQ over the past year, but I don't know what those are. Basically, if you can get the CyberQ to connect to the Ipad, then the cybercook program will work.

Thanks... That's perfect. Some of the other CyberQ apps out there only work with a live internet connection, which as you know, isn't possible at most competitions.

I've noticed that issue with my CyberQ, too, but unless the Guru folks are willing to replace mine with one that is updated :-D I'll probably put an access point in the trailer. I have a spare Linksys laying around upstairs.

CyberCook Features

Hi Ron_L,

I'm Mark, the developer of CyberCook. I will be updating my website this weekend to include CyberCook. In the meantime, here are links for the User Guide and a Features Guide that describe the main features of the app.

I am working on an iPhone version right now and it should be available in three to four weeks.

Features Guide -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9fpvg7nrf8p4s/CyberCook Features.pdf

User Guide -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgxh4wb0do3xtly/CyberCook User Guide Ver 1.0.doc.pdf

Ron_L, my website has been updated with CyberCook. There are a couple of files that can be viewed/downloaded with detailed information on the application.

I plan on adding a video demonstration of use and functionality of the app next week.

Mark (Flying Hog)

Last edited:
Why all the markup and js/jquery source code in the post?
Hi Ron_L,

I'm Mark, the developer of CyberCook. I will be updating my website this weekend to include CyberCook. In the meantime, here are links for the User Guide and a Features Guide that describe the main features of the app.

I am working on an iPhone version right now and it should be available in three to four weeks.

Features Guide -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9fpvg7nrf8p4s/CyberCook%20Features.pdf

User Guide -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgxh4wb0do3xtly/CyberCook%20User%20Guide%20Ver%201.0.doc.pdf

Hi Ron_L,

Features Guide -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9fpvg7nrf8p4s/CyberCook%20Features.pdf

User Guide -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgxh4wb0do3xtly/CyberCook%20User%20Guide%20Ver%201.0.doc.pdf

Ron_L, my website has been updated with CyberCook. There are a couple of files that can be viewed/downloaded with detailed information on the application.

I plan on adding a video demonstration of use and functionality of the app next week.

Mark (Flying Hog)

Thanks, Mark! I'll take a look.

Why all the markup and js/jquery source code in the post?

that's nothing that Mark did. I looked at the original post and he posted a link to a .pdf, and it looks like the forum software is trying to embed it for some reason. I'll ask Phil to take a look at it.

I use BBQ Remote too and it works just fine. I like the looks of this app just for the fun factor.

Will the iPhone version be available as part of the iPad version (i.e. Don't have to purchase it too?)

thx

There have been situations where I need to run to the store or do something and I can check the pit from my phone and if it needs a stick - I just call home and have someone throw one in..

I finally decided to join brethren since I couldn't find a support contact email for this app :) Maybe I'll post more now! ANyway, I had a question which others probably have as well...

I was about to fork over the $10 (which seemed a bit high compared to the alternatives like bbq remote and pit pal) then read the user guide which is very nice and it said I have to have the app running in the foreground for all of this to work? And not go into sleep mode?!? If true, hopefully not, that is probably a show stopper for me :sad:

I was assuming it would run in the background and alarm me even if in sleep mode or im in a different app or checking email or whatever. Also, not sure that's good for the ipad and the screen leaving it on all the time is it? Also, while we have electricity at the cook area, I usually don't have it in my sleeping area (ie back of SUV :rolleyes: ) at comps so not sure my ipad battery will last if it needs to be on all night.

In addition, does this mean it wont be charting stuff if the app is not running?

Sorry for all the questions and not trying to be negative as I really wanted this to work. But the key features to me are the temp alerts and charting (I can do everything else through the guru website) and if I have to run the thing 24/7 to work, not sure how realistic that is..

Any techy people know a workaround to fake an app running in background so this works?

I read some of that too... I know iOS7 allows background updates..
But not letting the screen go blank is an issue.

Since it has been tested all last year - I'm sure there will be some clarification. I agree with you.. the fun parts will not be all that fun if the screen is on for 12 hours straight.

I finally decided to join brethren since I couldn't find a support contact email for this app :) Maybe I'll post more now! ANyway, I had a question which others probably have as well...

I was about to fork over the $10 (which seemed a bit high compared to the alternatives like bbq remote and pit pal) then read the user guide which is very nice and it said I have to have the app running in the foreground for all of this to work? And not go into sleep mode?!? If true, hopefully not, that is probably a show stopper for me :sad:

I was assuming it would run in the background and alarm me even if in sleep mode or im in a different app or checking email or whatever. Also, not sure that's good for the ipad and the screen leaving it on all the time is it? Also, while we have electricity at the cook area, I usually don't have it in my sleeping area (ie back of SUV :rolleyes: ) at comps so not sure my ipad battery will last if it needs to be on all night.

In addition, does this mean it wont be charting stuff if the app is not running?

Sorry for all the questions and not trying to be negative as I really wanted this to work. But the key features to me are the temp alerts and charting (I can do everything else through the guru website) and if I have to run the thing 24/7 to work, not sure how realistic that is..

Any techy people know a workaround to fake an app running in background so this works?

CyberCook is now on my website with a link to support@iportablesolutions.com.

Currently CyberCook must be running in the foreground in order for it to work. At the time the app was developed, iOS only supported certain types of apps running in the background (music, etc). iOS 7 relaxed this a little bit and I am looking into whether iOS will let this type of app run in the background often enough to do its job. If it does, I will update the app immediately.

There is no danger of "burning" the screen on the iPad because of the design of the display. It is not like a computer screen.

Thanks utahusker for the analysis of this.

Anyone else use this and have any feedback?

Thanks.
wallace

Back