How many competitive barbecue teams are there?

A

aHughJassDude

I'm trying to find out how many active competitive barbecue teams there are. I've been searching for an hour now and can't find a single official list. Anyone know where to look?

What do you define as active? How many competitions a year? And are you asking across all sanctioning bodies? You won't find any overall official list that encapsulates every team across all bodies.

That being said here is the KCBS team of the year rankings for 2012. Over 6000 teams competed.
http://www.kcbs.us/team-of-the-year-results.php?y=2012&c=overall

Then of course there are many more like MBN, FBA, PNWBA, IBCA, etc

+1 above. No doubt, KCBS is the big kahuna of sanctioning bodies, but there are plenty of team competing who only compete in other sanctioning bodies. These are just those that compete in sanctioned comps. I know of many local competitions that aren't sanctioned and each seems to have 8 or 10 local teams that only compete once a year in those. 12,000 is probably on the low side.

What do you define as active? How many competitions a year? And are you asking across all sanctioning bodies? You won't find any overall official list that encapsulates every team across all bodies.

That being said here is the KCBS team of the year rankings for 2012. Over 6000 teams competed.
http://www.kcbs.us/team-of-the-year-results.php?y=2012&c=overall

Then of course there are many more like MBN, FBA, PNWBA, IBCA, etc

Guess you can never be too specific. Active as in competing more than twice a year and all sanctioning bodies. Some teams cross compete between the bodies right?

Looking for customers I suspect... Whatcha selling?

Lol, nope actually. I'm planning to compete myself one day and just wanted to get a feel for what odds I have. I know it all probably depends on the food I serve and the brand I build, but I want to know what I'm up against.

I know quite a few "semi pro" teams that have high end rigs and experience but only compete in non-sanctioned events, so even totaling the numbers from sanctioning organizations won't get you an accurate tally of all the cook teams in the country.

I see you are located in California. That makes it is an easier task to tally for your immediate region since BBQ competitions are not as common there as in the heart of BBQ country. Since the only numbers that really matter are the team counts at contests you enter, check the results for past years of events you have your eye on for recent team counts.

Lol, nope actually. I'm planning to compete myself one day and just wanted to get a feel for what odds I have. I know it all probably depends on the food I serve and the brand I build, but I want to know what I'm up against.

the total number of teams has no bearing your personal odds, so don't sweat it.

go out there have fun and cook your heart out.

You won't be up against all the thousands of teams :p. Maybe 25-60 (give or take) at a time depending on where you go. So you don't have to beat all the teams just the ones at the competition you sign up for :becky:.

Ca contests have grown to big team counts over the last two years..this year there will be about 8-9 50 team comps and the others are averaging around 30..as far as teams go I'd say there are about 70-100 that cook more than once a year..Ca has more new KCBS members than any other state..or so I was told

Product (BBQ) wins competitions, not equipment, not the size of the team, not sponsorships, not smokers, nor trucks, nor RV's, etc. You can win big time sanctioned comps with a couple of WSM's and a tent... Once you can make excellent quality BBQ consistently, within a 10 minute time window, the rest is understanding the game (and the rules forthwith). Different sanctioning bodies; different games. GC in KCBS is for highest overall total score (ie. most consistent top performer across the 4 categories), where GC in MBN is for the most singularly awesome BBQ (ribs judged against whole hog against whole shoulder).

Where in SoCal are you. We can have a "wannabecompetitor bash"! San Diego here.

Back