• doesn't really matter

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • who cares

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

smoke-n-my-i's

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok, I tossed out the should judges have more training, now how about cook teams....

I know that at the cook's meeting they play the rules for the "new" teams, and anybody that wants to stay and listen can. I know the sample book for turn in boxes is available.... been there done all of that.

Now, what about more "training" for the teams, that are like the judges, on line etc., that in to keep you abreast of the new rules/changes, etc.... what and what not to do with your boxes, etc.... every team has to sign in at KCBS website, to a question and answer "test" say once a year.... a refresher and then also we as cooks can NOT say, "oh, I didn't know that", or "when did that effect".....

I know a LOT of the teams that have cooked for years drag themselves up for the standard cooks meeting, listen to the welcome to our event, etc.... then can't get outta there fast enough.

I think if it is "good" enough for the judges, table captains, reps, etc.... it should have to be good enough for the cook as well.

Thought, good or bad.... throw them out here.....

I think it is the cook's responsibility to learn as much as they can about how to compete before entering a contest. Some choose to jump right in and use the trial by fire method. Some spend a year or more researching, practicing and learning how to compete before they jump in. It is up to the cook to decide what works best for them.

There could maybe be a better way of communicating changes in rules to all cooks, but again, you should do your own due diligence to figure this out at the start of each season. This should be the responsibility of the cook and not someone else.

Know the rules of the game you are playing, or else face the consequences. It costs too much to compete to not prepare yourself adequately, IMO.

You don't have to be a member to cook a contest.

You don't have to know the rules to send in your $250+ entry fee.

You don't have to listen to what is said at the cooks meeting.

You don't have to follow the rules when you prepare and turn your box in.

Judges don't pay nor do they get paid to judge, as far as I know.

They have travel expenses, but all the judges I know enjoy the hell out of it and consider it a great hobby. And they eat food that many say can't be bought.

Let the free market work.

I would like to see photos, etc. On a website showing what legal garnish looks like, and what not to put in a box. There seems to be some confusion out there as to what flat parsley and spinach leaves are.

1 - you dont have to be a KCBS member to cook a contest

2 - KCBS isnt the only game in town, so signing onto to WHAT website to review what?

3 - If youre uninformed about the rules, it will show up in your scores or the impending DQ.

4 - Rule changes are communicated, and recommunicated. its the cooks responsibility to know the rules. If they dont know them, they hurt themself, whereas if a judge doesnt know the rules to judge by, he hurts the teams regarding scoring, or themselves regarding the code of conduct.

For KCBS events, cook's meeting attendance isn't even required unless the organizer makes it mandatory (Rep advisory 4.20). I can't imagine a scenario where imposing something like this would lead to anything good.

No.

So you want stepford teams that are all trained alike so that it appeases the stepford judges we have already? Yeahhhh that makes sense :der:

I've got some mixed feelings on this one. As a judge I have seen pulled pork sandwiches, uncut half chickens, foil in the bottom of the box and a lot of other strange things hit the judging table.

These were things that the cook team should have known weren't allowed in a KCBS comp. Would mentoring or training helped them? I don't know.

I'm thinking that if the cook team didn't bother to learn the basic rules of the game then they probably wouldn't pay attention to other help if it were offered. I'm pretty sure that I'm up to par on the KCBS rules, but if I were to go to a GBA, FBA, IBCA, PNWBA, etc. contest then I'd better check out their rules.

Or pay the consequences.

If youre uninformed about the rules, it will show up in your scores or the impending DQ.

Yep.

A judge with poor training holds the fate of 16 teams in his/her hands.

A team with poor training holds the fate of 1 team in his/her hands, their own.

i don't get why cooks would have to be trained like judges?

I voted no. If cooks don't know the rules, we get DQ'd. If judges don't know the rules, they become master judges...

***OK, the last one was tongue in cheek....

I voted yes, because i see it as a way of educating cook teams on proper meat handling and food safety. I have seen some meat left out for a long time at comps.

I voted "who cares." Only because there was not a better choice that fit my answer.

There is a ton of resources out there if a team wants to use. However, it is up to that team. Some teams are just there to party (seen a lot of them). It just depends on what you want out of an event.

I voted no. If cooks don't know the rules, we get DQ'd. If judges don't know the rules, they become master judges...

***OK, the last one was tongue in cheek....

I do agree with the statement. I have seen 5 judges go thru their cooks with 2 different teams. 2 of these judges I have sat at the same table. I will talk about these two.
When I judged with them they took minimal bites . Into the cooler with the rest. I got kinda POed as I dont see how they could give a consistent fair judgement on either taste or tenderness . When they did their cook with a team they were their very minimal time. To the best of my knowledge they are Masters now.

Now on the other hand I have seen 3 others who put in their time got dirty and stayed on site. Well done folks !
I think the one that stands out in my mind was a fella that Captain Ron had at a contest and it stormed thru the nite etc .Ron made the man do it all and they had a kinda discusion friday nite that I got to sit in on part of . I even heard him say after awards that he didnt understand some of the scores ,thats if my memory is correct .

I think that folks who take the time to have the judges cook with them and make them do the time and get dirty need an attaboy :clap2::clap2::clap2:

I wish the others would just flunk em with a good explanation.

want to vote no, but i do not nor ever will know it all. I know what the rules are butalways learning and asking questions at comps.

I've got some mixed feelings on this one. As a judge I have seen pulled pork sandwiches, uncut half chickens, foil in the bottom of the box and a lot of other strange things hit the judging table.

These were things that the cook team should have known weren't allowed in a KCBS comp. Would mentoring or training helped them? I don't know.

I'm thinking that if the cook team didn't bother to learn the basic rules of the game then they probably wouldn't pay attention to other help if it were offered. I'm pretty sure that I'm up to par on the KCBS rules, but if I were to go to a GBA, FBA, IBCA, PNWBA, etc. contest then I'd better check out their rules.

Or pay the consequences.

I don't think training at the cooks meeting would do much good for new teams. Seems a high majority of them roll into the cooks meeting with a 12 pack in hand.

Back