round cast iron skillet, uses?

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I picked up an old Wagner cast iron round griddle yesterday. It was loaded with gunk. I cleaned it and have started reseasoning it. What I'm wondering about is what use it will be. Separate from a regular skillet, I mean. This is basically like the bottom 1/2" of a no. 10 skillet, with only 3/8" or so of sides.

Of course skillets have many uses. I have used cast iron all my life. Just wondering if I should keep this old guy or sell it.

seattlepitboss

Last edited:
Does it have a two-level lip? If so, it can be used as a lid for a deeper skillet. I also like those for things like pancakes, as the lower side is easier to manage.

keep it , I use mine for pancakes , pizza , grilled cheese , the possibilties are endless , or anything that doesnt need a deep pan

That is actually a griddle. They are tough to find. I'll give you $10 and pay for shipping.:mrgreen:

Grilled cheeses, crepes, pancakes, fried eggs, blackened fish etc. The short lip is handy for stuff that needs some gentle flipping.

I use my cast iron skillet every day, love it! I'm also a BIG fan of this product http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-CSC-8-Cast-Iron-Conditioner/dp/B000H86C9I/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369600411&sr=8-1&keywords=Cast+iron+conditioner

713926D2-E071-4713-B4F5-5598E0D0B78F-10478-000005CAB213A221.jpg

quesadillas jack or cheddar, peppers, onions, leftover q, sour cream, guac on the side. It'll change your life!!

Some of the best deep dish pizzas I've seen here have been made in a round cast iron skillet.

Some of the best deep dish pizzas I've seen here have been made in a round cast iron skillet.
+1

Honestly cast iron skillets are better than a pizza stone for cooking pizzas.

I've got the Lodge equivalent: round; diameter10+ inches; little 1/2 inch lip; and, regular handle. I use it to blacken pretty much anything ( fish, beef, pork chops) Get it hotter than a sane man would ever take a pan and it's almost hot enough to cook. I'm forced by inhome smoke alarms to use mine outdoors, either on the Weber or my gas cooker.
Um, this isn't a cast iron skillet. It's a griddle.

Back