Football n' Smoked Turkey!

Big Biscuit

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What a way to spend a Sunday. Just put the cornbread for the stuffing in the oven. Decided to use the herb butter under the skin instead of a bbq rub. I salted the the bird yesterday and just took it out rinsed it and patted it dry. It'll be going on the wsm in an hour. I hope this works out it being my first turkey and all. Any last minute tips?

Just had some blackened striped bass I caught for lunch. It was smack yo' mamma in the mouth delicious. Who'd of thunk getting your cast iron skillet white hot putting melted butter and a heavily seasoned piece of fish in there would have been a great idea. Turkey looks good too.

Did you brine it with anything ? Just curious if it stayed moist ? Havent ried one yet but been tempted

Thanks, Stan

No I didn't brine it. I salted it the night before and slathered it in herb butter. Slicing it up in a minute.

Wow looks good. I'm going to try smoking one soon, my girlfriend told her mom I would smoke a turkey this year for thanksgiving

What a way to spend a Sunday. Just put the cornbread for the stuffing in the oven. Decided to use the herb butter under the skin instead of a bbq rub. I salted the the bird yesterday and just took it out rinsed it and patted it dry. It'll be going on the wsm in an hour. I hope this works out it being my first turkey and all. Any last minute tips?

:wave:

Hey Big Biscuit,

nice job on the turkey. Glad to have found you on this forum as well. Now how about posting pics of that striper on the other forum.

mike

I smoked one the year before last for Thanksgiving and I wasent that impressed.It was a "enhanced" bird so I dident brine it,but it still came out dry after butter rub and injecting it.I think this year I try my 1st deep fryed turkey

:wave:

Hey Big Biscuit,

nice job on the turkey. Glad to have found you on this forum as well. Now how about posting pics of that striper on the other forum.

mike

Mike I wish I had thought of taking a pic of the blackened striper. I've done it before and I'm always impressed with how good it comes out.

I smoked one the year before last for Thanksgiving and I wasent that impressed.It was a "enhanced" bird so I dident brine it,but it still came out dry after butter rub and injecting it.I think this year I try my 1st deep fryed turkey

try injecting the bird with juice just before cooking. I don't brine anymore.

I did about a dozen turkeys last year and was very pleased with the results. Run you cooker hotter like Biscuit does hear (I prefer 275 -300).

Our favorite last year was injected with a 50/50 mix of cranberry and pineapple juice, rubbed under the skin with Yardbird and then glazed at the end with a cranberry pineapple glaze. It was lightly smoked with a little apple chunks.

It was so good the wife asked that I cook that recipe for our t-day fest last year.

Back