My First Butt

S

SmokerTim

Why yes, it has taken me way too long to finally smoke up my first pork butt for pulled pork. But life does get in the way some times.

Had a nice day hanging out with a good friend, learned that the smoker leaks like a sieve, learned to start the meat defrosting earlier, learned to start cooking earlier, learned all kinds of good stuff. Gotta love it when you get to learn and eat the lesson too! :biggrin:

Yes it did happen - see photos below. I was bummed that I forgot my good camera and had to resort to the camera phone - but they turned out fairly good considering!

For the full story and more photos: http://timcraig.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-first-pulled-pork.html

--

Firstporkbutt9-14-20089-02-48PM.jpg

Firstporkbutt9-14-20089-13-08PM.jpg

Firstporkbutt9-15-20082-31-26AM.jpg

Firstporkbutt9-14-20089-57-35PM.jpg

Thanks for all the tips shared on the forums!

Looks nice brother! Did you slice it up rather than pull it apart?

The first "post-cook" photo on the cutting board with the Tri-Tip and sausage has about a 1/2 butt chopped. The family was getting restless and I thought this would be the fastest way to go.

The last photo is the other 1 1/2 butts that I took home and pulled proper - with my hands. :smile:

I did that on my first butt. I have learn got to have patience when BBq

Last edited:
Yeah, at first it always takes longer than you would ever think, especially when you cant get the temps stable. Once you get the temps stable everything else seems to get easier.

Its all about practice, practice, practice. The good thing is its really hard to mess things up. Even a butt taken off a little early chopped instead of pulled is still some really good eats!

Scott

Well done on your first butt.
Yes those smokers do leak. I found that a moving blanket (like $15 at Home Depot) works great for both cold nights and to slow the smoke leaks down a bit.

Great job. Don't wait forever to try it again. Try to find the time to make some notes on how you cooked everything. It makes remembering mistakes and good points easier.

How's life in North County? (Grew up in Spring Valley)

Great job. Don't wait forever to try it again. Try to find the time to make some notes on how you cooked everything. It makes remembering mistakes and good points easier.

How's life in North County? (Grew up in Spring Valley)

Thanks Larry (and all the other folks the replied too). I took some notes on this cook, just not as many as normal. I was more social on this cook than normal so wasn't as detailed. But that's OK.

I still learned a lot and also got to meet some really nice folks and deepen a friendship. Not bad for a day watching meat cook.

My note usually end up getting translated into a story on my blog as well.

Life in north county? Not too bad. Although October is coming up and that mean Santa Ana season and that means the potential for bad fires. We all hope that since is was just a year ago we had a major fire storm that we will be safe this year - but you never know. Other than that, just chugging along trying to keep up with all that life throws at us - and that has been a lot lately. It sure was nice to take a whole day to do this smoke and get away from it all!

Thanks brothers!

Hi Tim,

The butt looks great! I am planning on smoking a butt and some ribs tomorrow. You mentioned the smoker leaking. I have the same smoker and the first few times I used it, it allowed lots of smoke out/air in/out on the 2 sides of the lid. I had a hard time maintaining any temperature consistency because I could not shut down or slow the airflow with the damper. I put 1 small pine 1x2 on both sides of the lid and while it still leaks a little, it made a huge difference. I am going to try to post pron tomorrow or Wed and I'll make sure to get a pic of the smoker mods. Great looking plate of food, I hope my butt looks that good.

Mike

Back