Abt ?

baldbill

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
MAde some ABT's for the first time and I have a question. First of all , took some pics but I havent figured out how to load them onto the computer and here, so with that said , here is the question. THey were great! I did notice that some were milder than the others, some were downright stout! stout but still good. What caused this?? The ripeness of the pepper? Were some possibly cleaned out ( de-seeded) better than the others? Just curios. Thanks.:mrgreen:

Jalapenos have a lot of variation in heat level. If you prefer them mild make sure to clean out as much of the membrane as possible as well as the seeds.

One tip to keep them a bit on the milder side, is to make boats out of the jalapenos instead of chopping off the top and filling it up. If you cut it in half you are only getting half a pepper per ABT and they seem to be a lot milder.

Also, make sure you leave them on long enough. Longer on the grill/smoker = milder and sweeter jalapenos.

Happy ABTs!

GreesePig's advice is right on. I do boats (slice the jap in half lengthwise) myself.

Thanks! I just cut the tops and filled them up and wrapped them, they were still great but my wife likes them milder. I will "boat " them the next time. Thanks.

For posting pics you can use a free photo hosting site. Browse your pic's, host em, right click/copy/ paste in your thread. You can resize them for forum use as well.
Your gonna neeed to learn this on here, if there are no pics...it didnt happen.:mrgreen:
Smoke on!

Why is one hotter then another??? Roll of the dice!

GreesePig's advice is right on. I do boats (slice the jap in half lengthwise) myself.

[Light bulb goes off in my head]... And all this time I've been slicing them like a canoe, then gutting them, stuffing them, put pepper slice back on, then wrapping them...:shock:

It would be so much easier just to slice them in halve... duh!!!!

No rhyme or reason to the heat level really. I usually find about one in 5 are thermonuclear.

I find that removing the ribs (and of course the seeds) completely really knocks down the heat - just did some cherry bomb peppers and while cleaning them I remarked how mild they were - then I took a bite of one that still had the ribs (membrane) on it ---------WOW!

Read it someplace... choose your peppers carefully... the ones with the thin white lines down the exterior are the older and hotter ones.

I have heard and read a few times that the peppers with straight stems are more mild than ones where the stem curves....Has anyone found this to be true or is it a wives tale?

[Light bulb goes off in my head]... And all this time I've been slicing them like a canoe, then gutting them, stuffing them, put pepper slice back on, then wrapping them...:shock:

It would be so much easier just to slice them in halve... duh!!!!

I got a serious LOL outta this one! Funny how sometimes we just do things like that without thinking it all the way thru. I catch myself doing that a lot. Then the lightbulb pops on one day and... :mrgreen:

I have heard and read a few times that the peppers with straight stems are more mild than ones where the stem curves....Has anyone found this to be true or is it a wives tale?

I'm due to make a batch. I'll see if I can tell a difference.

After cutting lengthwise & removing the seeds / veins, I put mine in a bowl filled with Sprite and put in the fridge for a few hours. Then rinse them in plain water before stuffing / wrapping. It seems to cut the heat down quite a bit.

Wow, first the left handed brisket, now the straight stemmed jalapeno!:lol:

I also boat and rinse and dry after de-veining and seeding. As you are working, the juice is collecting in the pepper. If not rinsed, it'll bite ya...

I got a serious LOL outta this one! Funny how sometimes we just do things like that without thinking it all the way thru. I catch myself doing that a lot. Then the lightbulb pops on one day and... :mrgreen:
Light bulb? What light bulb?
OH! That light bulb. It got burned out back during the 60's.:idea:

Back