Pellet smoker 'General' guidelines ??

jpw23 said:
Do these things use the same pellets as the pellet stoves? If so, there is a pellet stove dealer near my home....I could get you guys some prices.

Rod states in one of his earlier posts that the pellets for stoves may be different from those specific for smoking. Those for stoves may have a petrolium byproduct.

My new FEC 100 will be here Friday.
I am ready to cook and sleep.
When we go to a contest I am a Zombie.
Being able to cook for friends and still enjoy
my weekends is going to be the best part.

Chicken and small butt pics from this last weekend.

Attachments

• bbq 053 (Medium).jpg
    bbq 053 (Medium).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 36
  • bbq 062 (Medium).jpg
    bbq 062 (Medium).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 36
  • bbq 068 (Medium).jpg
    bbq 068 (Medium).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 35
Q_Egg,

I took some pics of my pellets to show that you can't tell a difference in them, except for the oak. The top left is Traeger apple. Top right is Traeger hickory. Bottom center is OHP oak. As you can see, the OHP oak pellets are larger, but I suspect that is a vendor difference. There is no difference in site or smell. You mix these together and you can't tell what's in the mix.

Attachments

• bbq 029 (Medium).jpg
    bbq 029 (Medium).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 36
Q_Egg said:
Price looks good, but shipping kills me. Ends up at $20./20# bag and I pay <$15. locally including tax.

:lol: I never looked at shipping.

The_Kapn said:
You might take a look at Epp Farms out of Newton, KS
$17.50 for 20 lbs including shipping.

http://www.bbqwoodpellets.com/bbq_wood_pellet_cart.htm

Good variety.

FWIW

TIM
...Thanks Kapn ... that's a good looking source at a very competitive cost. I will definitely send them an order for some of their mixed blends in 40# bags. Sounds like they pay attention to their quality and consistency.

Regards,

Plowboy said:
http://ronzsmokinwood.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=189&osCsid=318aa00814b1c032bbe8a31c70550cc8

I clicked into this site from BBQ-Brethren.com. Does this seem like a good price for Traeger pellets or am I missing something?

These prices look good other than shipping, now I know just how much I got screwed. I payed around 19.00 per 20# bag from the supplier at the lake plus the fuel to go pick them up. Bet ya I change, think I may try Branch Creek, don't need much I'm still using stick burner for comps.

Lee (SloppyQ)

Back