turn in vs judgeing time question

rxcellentq

Knows what a fatty is.
I am still wet behind the ears on contest workings. Do the judges wait until the turn in window is closed to look at and judge samples. If so would it be an advantage to wait until the final minute so that your box does not sit for 10 plus mintues before it gets judged

for chicken once 6 entries are on the tray it should go to a table of judges. As you progress this may change as the Reps try to ensure that a teams box hits different tables. For contests with 25-30 teams this can be more of an issue so turning in brisket at 1:25 may mean a significant delay to judges eating it. With 50 plus teams it shouldn't be an issue hitting the 1:25 to 1:30 window.

However trying to time it to the last minute can backfire. As you close the box you accidently bump the box and shift the meat. No time to fix it so it goes as is. And of course if you time it too close you can join the ranks of immortals on camera like Chris Lilly and Tuffy Stone.

In all the contests I've judged I've never seen any significant delay in getting boxes to the judging table. Our schedule is relatively tight, particularly at larger contests and the Table Captains have to scurry to keep juding moving. As quickly as the turn-in officials can build a tray of recorded entries they move it out.

The only "planned delay" occurs at the table. Judges are asked not to begin judging until all the seats have all the samples. This cuts down on confusion and helps the TC keep things organized record-wise.

Good luck in your future contests!

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
With organized reps, quick re numbering, and experienced table captains, the

time between turn in to presentation for appearance scoring is very short.

Understand that for appearance scoring the box lid is held open. Box is open as it is passed around for each judge to take a piece . Then your entry sits on the judging placemat until all entries are passed around. Then waits some more until that judge is ready to judge your entry. This is not avoidable. But it is the same for everyone
no matter which position, 1 through 6, your entry is.

Hope this helps.

I am still wet behind the ears on contest workings. Do the judges wait until the turn in window is closed to look at and judge samples. If so would it be an advantage to wait until the final minute so that your box does not sit for 10 plus mintues before it gets judged

More than one team has been DQ'ed for waiting until the last minute and not have their time in synchronization with the rep. If you are still new to this I would worry about just getting my turn in on time and not so much on waiting until the last minute.

Back