your grilling : smoking ratio

I grill a dinner meat (chicken breasts, lean pork, fish, or occasionally lean beef) every night on my BGE. I get my Stumps smoker out about every three weeks and do a two day multiple meat (usually 2 packer briskets, 12 racks of ribs, and 4 whole pork butts) massive smoke session to feed family, local friends, and employees.

Not smoking too often keeps it a special treat for those on the receiving end.

I would say 80% smoke and 20% grill.

And like another said 110% beer. I usually don’t fire up the grill without a beer/coozie in hand. It just doesn’t seem right

75 grill 25 smoke. Only because of time constraints and the darn work gig that keeps getting in the way. Hope to reverse it soon.

I would say 80% smoke and 20% grill.

And like another said 110% beer. I usually don’t fire up the grill without a beer/coozie in hand. It just doesn’t seem right

I'm more of a 50% beer 50% bourbon guy

95% smoking. If it’s something I can grill then it’s something I can use a griddle for.

Ok I'll take your bait.

Grilling, bbq, indirect, direct, long cooks and short.

When discussing what is bbq (or anything) its best not to speak in absolutes. All you do is paint yourself into a corner. Why limit yourself?

Adam Perry Lang doesn't differentiate grilling vs bbq and i agree. This guy can cook and he doesnt put false restrictions on how he cooks and neither should we.

So i guess what i am saying is that grilling is another toolset under the umbrella of bbq. I love bbq. Direct, indirect, long cooks and short.

Labels are for soup cans

Now that’s something a Northerner will say. Barbecue is low and slow. No other way around it. Maybe Adam needs to know the difference, celebrity status or not.

Now that’s something a Northerner will say. Barbecue is low and slow. No other way around it. Maybe Adam needs to know the difference, celebrity status or not.

A northerner, also south america, India, korea....ect ect

Southern bbq, texas bbq, carolina bbq hawiian bbq....ect ect

Canadians even have bbq

Dont be so narrow minded, not all bbq is as you know it

I typically grill on my Weber Kettle 60% (high heat, direct or indirect...whatever) and smoke on my offset stick-burner 40% (lower & slower) of the time.

Interesting question, as I sometimes "cross the line" between the two.

Francis Mallmann is a brilliant steward of the fire that might be of interest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4kCwhkBO4E

90% smoking / 10% grilling (most grilling is to sear off sous vide cooks)

Canadians even have bbq

Sure, but what's wrong with labeling it? There is a difference between frying and roasting, and a difference between steaming and boiling. I don't think it hurts to differentiate between cooking methods, but I won't begin to argue which is better.

That said, like others here, I grill much more in the summer, and smoke more as it gets cooler. It's already inconvenient enough to get to the outdoor cooking area (door out of the kitchen, steps down the patio, gate to the back yard) or I'd probably find a way to do all of my cooking outdoors, any time it wasn't pure misery outdoors.

I'm with Ninja cause he knows his chit and I like the avatar

I'm with Ninja because he knows his chit and I like Toast's avatar.:oops:

Just the two of us here and smoking usually involves a large chunk.
I'd say 80 percent grilling and 20 smoke, but smoke is involved 100 percent.

About 7:1 grill to smoke.
The food I grill rarely lasts past that meal, while I smoke enough for days or weeks, so pound for pound the ratio would be much closer.

In terms of cooks it’s probably about 80 percent grilling, 20 smoking. If measuring what I’m eating it’s closer to 50/50 and might be higher than that for smoking. Tend to do more with smoked leftover meals than grilled (pulled pork enchiladas, smoked chicken quesadillas etc)

Canadians even have bbq

Ha.. don’t bring Chinese and Korean barbecue into the mix. They both are grilled/roasted dishes but the ignorance of the public can’t tell the difference between grilling and barbecue so the translation stuck.

If someone does not know the difference between grilling and barbecuing then let’s educate them.

Back