• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone heard of Schmacon?

bignburlyman

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score

clipped from Kansas Livestock Association News & Market report

PRIVATE SECTOR BRINGS BEEF BACON TO MARKET WITH HELP FROM CHECKOFF
The checkoff-funded Beef Innovations Group has helped bring beef bacon to the marketplace. Schmacon is a whole muscle beef slice that has been smoked, cured and glazed with a proprietary spice blend delivering a smoky, slightly sweet flavor. It is precooked and ready for crisping in an oven, microwave or flat-top griddle.
Howard Bender, a Chicago deli owner and chef at the Hyde Park Culinary Institute of America, created the product. After months of testing in his deli on sandwiches, soups and hot dishes, Bender said customers are “crazy” about the flavor and excited about the nutritional profile. A serving of Schmacon contains only 30 calories, 2 grams of fat and 60 milligrams of sodium, comparing very favorably to traditional bacon.
“The beef checkoff immediately recognized the potential in Schmacon to be a successful new beef product,” said Bender. “They have aided us throughout our development and launch process, providing credibility and exposure at a critical time.
Bender said checkoff support is helping launch the product in both the foodservice and retail channels. Schmacon is now available commercially, with emphasis in the foodservice sector. Participants at the National Restaurant Association Show in Chicago, May 17-20, will have the opportunity to sample it. The product is expected to be sold in supermarkets by the end of the year.

Uhg. That name sucks. Schmacon? That doesn't sound appetizing, although anything that is fake bacon just sounds horrible.

When are we going to just leave well enough alone. You can eat bacon, just don't eat it every day. You can eat double bacon cheeseburgers, just don't eat them all the time. Moderation...god, there is so much variety already in the culinary world. Do we really need bacon replacements? Or can we practice moderation and not eat fake bacon. Bleah! :rant::rant::rant:

Never heard it called that, but I saw beef bacon at Restaurant Depot yesterday.

I've had beef bacon before. I would say it's...okay. The kind my Wife bought was fairly lean and didn't crisp well, at all. Flavor was pretty damn good, but the lack of crispness just made it, well...not bacony. If that's even considered a word.

Back