Brisket: When to trim?

Do you trim the sides of your brisket before or after you cook it?

• I trim before.

Votes: 81 73.0%
  • I trim after.

Votes: 30 27.0%

• Total voters

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We all know that if you slice brisket across the grain, the slices will be too long for the box. Here's the question: Do you trim the sides of your brisket before or after you cook it and why?

(Awaiting the next great BBQ debate...)

I trim my briskets 1 inch wider than the turn in box...about 10 inches so that it will be the perfect size for the box after cooking. Plust it looks really cool with the smoke ring all around!

We trim prior to cooking so we get smoke ring and bark all the way around.

We trim before we cook but this past weekend one of the thinner edges was a bit overdone and starting to crumble so I cut about 1" of that side. Would have rather not done that but it did not hurt our scores in my oppinion.

We trim before we cook but this past weekend one of the thinner edges was a bit overdone and starting to crumble so I cut about 1" of that side. Would have rather not done that but it did not hurt our scores in my oppinion.

Yep. If you have flat that has even thickness throughout than this is usually not a problem. However, almost all the briskets we use taper towards the edges and typically get overcooked. We therefore trim after, but in a way so as to make it not look as if we have done so. :wink:

We therefore trim after, but in a way so as to make it not look as if we have done so. :wink:

I'm afraid this is not enough information for me to understand what method you are using. Could you please elaborate and provide pictures and step by step commentary ASAP? :cool:

I trim after. :becky:

........but I have never placed higher than 8th in brisket either. :icon_blush:

First Place Brisket can come from anywhere on that Packer

You just never know where that best slice is going to come from on that slab of beef. I trim my slices after I slice the whole brisket and find the money slice before trying to fit them to the box.

Attachments

• American Royal 2009 005.jpg
    American Royal 2009 005.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 431
We trim after also. We do remove all silverskin and other sharty looking pieces before. But the more meat you cook, the better selection you will have to choose from.

You just never know where that best slice is going to come from on that slab of beef. I trim my slices after I slice the whole brisket and find the money slice before trying to fit them to the box.

That is one good lookin' box Jimmy.

We also trim before.. to the width of the box.. just like the smoke ring all the way around as well.

What do you have on that brisket???

You forgot to mention what you slathered on that briz before it went to the box...probably just an oversight? What was the recipe again? That was a monster brisket score by the way...178+ out of 180.:thumb:

Oh yeah...the next week in Winter Haven...he did it again! I've been debating all week that it's a presentation thing or a sauce thing thats putting it over the top.

Obviously it's cooked well...nice!

Yep. If you have flat that has even thickness throughout than this is usually not a problem. However, almost all the briskets we use taper towards the edges and typically get overcooked. We therefore trim after, but in a way so as to make it not look as if we have done so. :wink:

This is the same method we use as well. :thumb:

Back