• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone ever do up bear meat?

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have a buddy that gave me some bear "burger" last year that's been taking up room in the freezer. I was thinking about using it to make up some MOINKs, but then it occured to be that they would in fact be BOINKs, which made me think of other things... :eyebrows:

In any case, does anyone have experience with bear?

Agree, I had bear hamburger patties from a wild game store, and they were good!!!!!! Now the zebra and lion I didn't care for.I may not have cooked them right neither though.Just threw em in a pan on top of stove.The smell of them cooking was HORRENDOUS!!!!!!

brickie

Al, they wouldn't be BOINKS, since it's based on the sound of the critter. What noise does a bear make? Growl? Roar? Grunt? HEHEHE

Thanks to both of you... I've been a little leary to thaw it out, but you've convinced me to give it a try. Sounds like I should try some of the ground bear as a patty before I turn it all into BOINKs.

As a side note, lion and zebra are probably like cat and horse, which I've never cared for either... :puke::laugh::laugh::laugh: ... JK of course...

They had some crazy meat at that store. Zimmers, or something like that was the name. I was going thru a faze where I wanted to be like Andre Zimmerman and taste all this crazy food. Now I stick to the "normal" stuff.

brickie

They had some crazy meat at that store. Zimmers, or something like that was the name. I was going thru a faze where I wanted to be like Andre Zimmerman and taste all this crazy food. Now I stick to the "normal" stuff.

brickie

Don't let that stop you from trying both Bison and Elk. I was given a whole bison tenderloin and an Elk strip loin (NY strip steak). OMFG!!!

I cut the bison into two roasts and did one marinated in coffee stout and garlic and did a reverse sear on.

Money-Shot3.jpg

The other I slathered with a paste made of roasted garlic, worcestershire and crushed pepper corns.

BisonRG24.jpg

The elk I marinated in bourbon.

Elk25a.jpg

was told by some of my Conservation officer friends that bear meat MUST be cooked well, as they can harbour serious little critters in there meat that you would not want to injest if they were still crawling...

Dave

Nasty, but that is one reason why I don't EVER eat undercooked meat!!! Some people say certain cuts of meat are best rare, but never will eat meat that way. Well done, or I'll pass.

And bought some buffalo when I was in WI awhile back and yes it was extremely good!!Loved how lean it was, no fat at all. And those pics of your food got me hungry!!

brickie

Another thing to keep in mind is when and where the bear was harvested. From what I understand, usually in the spring the meat is good but can be lean from that long nap. If harvested in the fall it may have more fat but the bear's food source can play a major role. I got a black bear up in Alaska down on the coast where they eat dead salmon and the meat was worthless. However, if the bear is feeding on nuts and berries up in the mountains then the meat can be good.

I have had bear several times. There is a Butcher on the Italian Market here in Philly that sells all kinds of game.

I usually get it in nice thick chops. Put them in the broiler with a little red wine butter, fresh rosemary, bay leaf salt and pepper. I eat it on the rare side. To me it tastes like rich pork, a little bit on the gamey side but not so much.

I have never smoked it but damn ill bet it would be good.

Another thing to keep in mind is when and where the bear was harvested. From what I understand, usually in the spring the meat is good but can be lean from that long nap. If harvested in the fall it may have more fat but the bear's food source can play a major role. I got a black bear up in Alaska down on the coast where they eat dead salmon and the meat was worthless. However, if the bear is feeding on nuts and berries up in the mountains then the meat can be good.

I beleive this bear was taken last fall in Idaho near the Snake River / Salmon River confluence in Hells Canyon. I'll have to verify with my buddy. Thanks for the advice...

I did some research on trichinosis a while back and most of the cases in the last 50 years were people who had eaten bear!
:scared: That makes me feel much better about giving bear a try. Maybe I'll have my buddy give it a try and wait a couple days before I try it myself. :icon_smile_tongue:

Back