• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
i dont know if they are galvanized..i just got them to try out.. they are from a company called steel city i believe. it is all i have to use. i didnt know there were different styles of conduit nuts.

Tuck

well who ever has that UDS, congrats because it looks BadA** I think i have a case of UDS envy and mine isnt even done yet!

Tuck

[quot]Got the pics figured out for you, looks pretty sweet so far.e=Smokin Newbie;942486
SSUDS002.jpg
SSUDS003.jpg
SSUDS005.jpg
SSUDS007.jpg
SSUDS008.jpg
[/quote]
where did you get that at. i want a SS barrel:sad:

I hope the conduit nuts you have on the inside are not galvanized.

i believe the intakes dont get hot enough to really worry about it.. i know my intakes dont and i believe all the conduit nuts only come one way at least at the home depot i shop at, they are all the same

If you are worried about Galvanized coating do 1 of 2 things.

Dip in Muratic acid (pool acid) let bubble and rinse, or heat with torch , dont breathe vapors and brush. The ones i have seen are either pot metal that will melt if torched too much or zinc plated which will be stripped doing the above. Personally i wouldn't worry.

If you are worried about Galvanized coating do 1 of 2 things.

Dip in Muratic acid (pool acid) let bubble and rinse, or heat with torch , dont breathe vapors and brush. The ones i have seen are either pot metal that will melt if torched too much or zinc plated which will be stripped doing the above. Personally i wouldn't worry.

i agree... those conduit nuts are so thin that if you apply heat to them they are going to warp or melt imho...at least the ones we get around here

Hello everyone...

The HawgFather here. I have been following this thread for quite a long time and enjoy reading and seeing everyones ideas. I just joined the forum. Now on my 16th UDS. Trying to make them cheaper and cheaper because everytime someone tastes the Q from my UDS, they want one of their own, which I end up helping them build. Concerning the bottom vents here is a pic of a sliding door from a cheap donor grill that works great. You can see my take on the UDS here and the last one that we built at the bottom of page (Under $100) http://hawgfathers.com/RD.aspx
022.jpg

Kettle Drum Cover

No pics, but it did happen. Just went to drop of the curbside recyclables and there sitting in the waste steel dumpster I see a wheel to a Weber. Attached to that wheel was a badly smashed up kettle. Too bad. But wait, next to it is the top. So I sneak around to the other side of the dumpster, ignore the guy who is yelling at me and snag a perfectly good, for a UDS anyway, top to a
22 1/2" kettle. No chips and just the usual amount of rust at the handle. It's in even better shape than the other one on my free Kettle. Now I can finish Drum #2. WooHoo!

Way to go fellow dumpster diver SmokinD. In general, only avoid dumpsters if they are lableled "no trespassing" and if there is someone there to catch you.

For you guys with open top drums--do you have to use the ring clamp to get a good seal, or do you just set the lid on top.

If you use the clamp, how do you get the !@##$@@@! thing off and on? It takes me forever get mine off and back on. Lac of Wheaties, I guess?

For you guys with open top drums--do you have to use the ring clamp to get a good seal, or do you just set the lid on top.

If you use the clamp, how do you get the !@##$@@@! thing off and on? It takes me forever get mine off and back on. Lac of Wheaties, I guess?

I have to use the ring seal on mine but I have a used drum and the lid is a little bent up.

I am planning on working on getting a weber lid and/or building another lid from the bottom of another drum.

I tried the clamp ring and it was a real PITA. Went a couple of cooks trying to bend the top a bit to achieve the best seal. Not a lot of luck there. Last cook I took some alum. foil and rolled it up loosely, placed it in the channel in the top and squished it on. Sealed really well and with careful removal of the top it stayed in place.

Back