Trailer Insurance

A

ASUBBQ

Besides liability do other caterers carry a seperate policy on your trailers or cookers that tow behind?

If you don't you should seriously consider doing so, we have coverage on ours similar to what you would carry on your tow vehicle.

In CT we have to register any trailer with motor vehicle which then prevents it from being covered under a homeowners policy for any damage or theft.

I have a buddy who lost a 10K southern pride due to theft, it was trailer mounted without insurance. If your trailer gets hit by another vehicle and totaled and its not insured you might be eating the replacement cost!

Worth looking into!

In Idaho we don't have to register concessions trailers. We do have to register towbehind cookers and trailers however. We have ours covered for liability and theft through our business, otherwise my vehicle insurance covers anything else. Runs us about $150 a year for everything.

My trailers are all covered through the vehicle towing's insurance. Anything not picked up in that claim either diverts to my home owners (my RV) or my business insurance (my enclosed trailer).

May want to check with your auto insurance carrier on that. My insurance agent told me when these trailers are parked unattached from the tow vehicle, that's when they fall under the home owner or business insurance and are free from the vehicle.

Hope that helps. It made sense in my head explaining it. lol!

I have a additional rider that covers the replacement cost of all my equipment that is not built into my catering truck. I think it's $30k for around $250 extra for the year.

Ugh....
In Michigan, my vending trailer is considered commercial equipment, needs to be pulled by a commercially insured vehicle. (bend over mod) That covers damage to the trailer and truck.
Our liability covers anything inside the trailer for theft and damage.

Back