Help Rating Box #2

AzQer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here was our turn in for pulled pork
Picture049.jpg

Any and all comments please

More meat, less green. Otherwise you are tright on. Fill up that box with meat... Maybe a spritz of something at the end to keep it moist looking?

Best looking box of the three.

The box looks good. However when I've judged I've found that pork entries that have 6 scoops tend to be drier and colder. I'd consider putting it all in one big pile.

Could that box potentially be considered "sculpted" ?

I like it overall. It's a nice box and I'd give it an 8 (but the semi-packed meat balls reminds me of a can of tuna or cat food).

I like the design. I would use more meat and less parsley.

I looked at that box and said I do not know how you would make that better! That is excellent=9

I would have given an 8, but I am sure that the judges asked the rep if that was sculpted.

Not that I want to give away my whole philosophy of a turn-in box. But it's a meat contest. That is why I like a lot of meat in a box as well. Have the meat standing up in the box and not hidden behind a lot of green. If you have big green edges like that, have them in the background and not where the green is even with the meat. The green takes away from the meat. Plain and simple.

I would have given an 8, but I am sure that the judges asked the rep if that was sculpted.

I would give it an 8 or 9.

It's posible that some would question if it was "sculpted" but my mind would just think "6 identifiable pieces" and nothing more.

I see it as making it easy for the judges to get a nice portion and easy to get out of the box and onto the plate. When I table captained I saw and instance where a judge was trying to get a sample out of a box of PP and a small piece falls off because it is difficult to get hold of and lands on a different entry spot on the plate. Thankfully there was nothing on that spot yet and he wiped it clean.

I personally like the idea, but, is it too "outside the box" to where some might get there panties in a wad about it? Who knows?

Not that I want to give away my whole philosophy of a turn-in box. But it's a meat contest. That is why I like a lot of meat in a box as well. Have the meat standing up in the box and not hidden behind a lot of green. If you have big green edges like that, have them in the background and not where the green is even with the meat. The green takes away from the meat. Plain and simple.

I see your point Scottie. Maybe build up the lettuce under the center so it doesn't look "sunk in" and a little less green around the outside would showcase the meat better. Good point.

The green takes away from the meat. Plain and simple.

Again, I understand what your saying, just dont agree with it from a judges stand point.

There must be 2 lbs of meat in there when is enough...

Exactly. Let it stand on it's own. Show it proud to the judges...

Exactly. Let it stand on it's own. Show it proud to the judges...

That would be great if KCBS contests were just "meat" contests but they aren't. If they were we would not have to deal with apperance!

Yeah, if they were, then it would be the IBCA. But that is part of KCBS competitons, so we are to make our meat look as appealing as we can. That includes making the greens look good too.

Again, I understand what your saying, just dont agree with it from a judges stand point.

There must be 2 lbs of meat in there when is enough...

If I can get THREE pounds of meat in there, I'm doing it. Don't know how they score out on the left coast but around here, when I started filling the hell outta boxes, my scores went up a LOT. Maybe we're bigger eaters out this way than in health conscious areas out west but more definitely IS better around where we compete.

Back