Do Yall temp Chicken

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Like Chicken Breasts on Grill - do yall check temp or just cut into it or what?

I always temp it because i'm not a peeker...the lid aint coming off until it reaches temp.

Yup, about the only meat I religiously temp.

If it's grilled boneles skinless I'll poke or cut it. I've gotten good with timing whole chickens and parts, but still test as a double check.

Temp, 155 inner thigh and we are well into safe zone, and juicy!

175 for 1 sec. For dark meat. You can go lower but than it should be held there for the needed time.

I temp it then once at temp I cut it. Can't be too safe for poultry. 165 for breasts and the thighs are done too.

I always use my thermapen:razz:
I do 160 for breast.
180 for thighs. :clap:
The dark meat is done at 160 BUT you need the higher temperature to break down the ligaments in the dark meat.
It will still be moist due to the fat in the thights:icon_smile_
Good luck!!

To keep things simple 165 in the breast but cook your birds hot! My chicken is always falling apart and juicy and the reason is high temps. If i cook a bird to 165 in the breast it's way hotter in the thigh.

Smitty, you got an iPhone? Get the MeatTemps app...

Chix and turkey are the only things I temp, except maybe tri-tip 'cause I don't cook those often enough to go by feel on 'em. I go for 165 in the thigh and the breast falls in place.

Temp for my poultry, always. 165 and they come off, except for big turkeys. Those come off right as it goes past 160.

Back