• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Spatchcock Turkey on Santa Maria Style Grill????

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We loaded up on whole turkeys when they were on sale for $0.59 per pound during the holidays and I have a few 12-14 pounders still hanging out in the freezer. I'm toying with the idea of spatchcocking one and cooking it on my Santa Maria style pit one day next week. Surely someone has done this before and its just my inept search skills that won't let me find examples (found plenty smoked, on the Weber and BGE so I'm encouraged it will work). I'm thinking I'll spatchcock the bird, then brine overnight, maybe inject, rub and then cook on oak & huickory coals at a target grill temp around 300* (or where I can keep my hand for 10-12 seconds) until I start seeing IT's around 150*-165* then wrap & rest?
What do y'all think?
Any guess on cooking time?
Any critique or suggestions will be appreciated.

Sounds like a plan to me. Instead of wrapping & resting how about loosely tenting it & resting? If you wrap it the skin will lose it's crispiness.

tent & rest is a defenate, although I like my Buzzard a little more on the well done side. Like 165 breast & 175 drums & thighs. BLU don't eat no under cooked Buzzard.. Bad experiences!:sick:

This is the only way I cook turkey now. I would not recommend injecting, it leaves pockets as turkey has tighter tissue than 4 legged critters. You'll get mushy spots where the injection pools. I like higher temps for birds (300+) to get crispy skin. Nobody likes rubber skin or limp bacon.

Thanks a bunch. Do you cook on a SM style grill?
This is the only way I cook turkey now. I would not recommend injecting, it leaves pockets as turkey has tighter tissue than 4 legged critters. You'll get mushy spots where the injection pools. I like higher temps for birds (275-300) to get crispy skin. Nobody likes rubber skin or limp bacon.

Back