Newbie Question: How much charcoal in the UDS?

B

BigTone

Hey folks, sorry for the newbie question but is there a formula for how much charcoal to use? I guess I'm trying to figure out how much to use for ribs vs. brisquett (sp) vs. pork butt because I know the all cook for different lengths of time.

Also, once the cook is over I imagine you shut off all the intakes, close the lid, and let the fire go out. Can you reuse whatever charcoal is leftover after a burn or do you need to start with fresh every time?

Thanks for the help, I'm going to attempt some ribs on sunday I think, I appreciate the help! PICS will follow!

My coal basket is always half to 3 quarters full regardless of the size or length of time of cook. And it's a big basket.

Load it up!
Whatever doesn't burn this cook you can use next cook. I NEVER throw out charcoal. All I do is shake off the ash, reload the basket and light it!

That's the great thing about a UDS. It's so air tight that you can just shut it down when you're done and relight the basket next time.

Good advice above, but just in case you don't already know, you have to use the Minion method to make it work.

Here is what I do with very good results.

I have smaller diameter rings that hold 5-6 lbs of charcoal that I set inside my baskets for short cooks.

100_1645.jpg

100_1646.jpg

100_1717.jpg

100_1718.jpg

Most of the drum baskets I use are built on an 18" or 22" Weber charcoal grate frame with the expanded metal @ 9-13" tall. None of them perform any better or worse than the others as I only use 10lbs of briqs for heavy meats and have never had to add any fuel during a cook and there is always fuel leftover.

100_2248.jpg

100_2403.jpg

Size really doesn't matter, its how much fuel you use for the cook. Here is one built on a Weber Smokey Joe charcoal grate platform and its a chicken & rib cooking mofo.

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

This is all I need for ribs, chicken or turkey cooks in my 85 gallon drum.

IMG_0535_1.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

a$$holes are like opinions-everybody has one, and my methods work for me, YMMV.

On the other hand you don't want to leave a basket of coals sitting in the UDS for a period of time between firings where they can pick up moisture.

Back