Taste slightly off....

Gulf Coast Blue

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Last pork butt, two chickens, and today a pork loin had a slightly off taste.....not unpleasant......just "off".......a bit tangy.

Could it be something with my offset? It seems to be seasoned well as I have used it for years......does it need a good spring cleaning....and if so, how?

Thanks.

A good cleaning probably wouldn't hurt. I have never had one, so I wouldn't know how to clean it proper.

Are you doing anything new or different in your prep? New lump/charcoal/briquets, new seasonings, new injections/marinades? If not, I suppose that leaves the cooker.

Refer working properly?

Not sure where else to look.

KC

clean your cookers after heavy use, use just water / pressure washer or steam cleaner...avoid soap, however on your deep cleans and soap is used..RINSE..RINSE then let it burn a couple hours before use..a dirty cooker will yeild bitter food..

Your fuel hasn't got wet/gone mouldy has it?
My offset never gets cleaned bar a good burn out

Maybe a good burnout is in order. I have not done it in awhile. I am familiar with wood going funky and that is not the issue. Learned that one the hard way a number of years ago.

I have been using a new rub, but have also grilled with it has been great there.

I saw a orange based grill cleaner at Lowe's a few weeks ago and that is what got me thinking. Anyone tried it?

yes...use it for your deep cleans, then just fire up for a few hours , spray down with veg oil and start cooking again

You might want to consider scraping it - my offset builds up a pretty good layer of creosote. I scrape it out about every 6 months or so.

I scrape mine out about once a year. I use my fireplace shovel. It works great and there's no need to reseason.

622804_front200.jpg

Probably just wet fuel like mentioned or could've been some bad wood. Maybe it was the meat? Or something in the rub or marinade?

I think its safe to assume that with so many other variable it wasn't the cooker. Try a couple other cooks and see if the "tang" is still present.

Back