Smoked Turkey Pot Pie

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So I've not played in the Throwdowns for quite some time.
This was on the menu for this week anyway and so why not play?!

THIS is the actual recipe that I used for this cook.

Here's how the cook went down.....

I fired the LBGE with no smoke wood and let it heat up while the prep in the kitchen started. I was shooting for 425d.

I pulled this out of the freezer this morning and thawed all day in the fridge. I smoked this sometime early November, portioned and vacuum sealed:
IMG_6414.jpg

And these are the best pre-made pie crusts I've ever had. FAR easier than making my own crust.
IMG_6415.jpg

Started with the "trinity":
IMG_6413.jpg

Which went into a dutch oven with butter, salt, pepper, oregano and thyme (I didn't have parsley as the recipe called for):
IMG_6418.jpg

When they were tender, I added 2 chicken bullion cubes and 2C water:
IMG_6419.jpg

When it came to a boil, in went 3 potatoes, cubed:
IMG_6420.jpg

While the taters cooked, in a sauce pan I put the turkey, some more butter and let that warm......
IMG_6421.jpg

Then added some flour and milk to ROUX it up.....
IMG_6424.jpg

THEN, when the potatoes were tender, but still firm, I added the turkey mix into the pot:
IMG_6425.jpg

Then tasted and it was all happy, happy, happy......
IMG_6426.jpg

I put one of the pie crusts in the bottom of a glass pie pan:
IMG_6427.jpg

Added the turkey pie filling:
IMG_6428.jpg

Then added the top pie crust, sealed and fluted the edge and cut some slits in the top:
IMG_6429.jpg

I then took it out to the Egg. Suprisingly, it had climbed to nearly 600 degrees! :shock:

So on it went....
IMG_6430.jpg

The recipe called for cooking it at 425 for 15 minutes, then reducing the oven temp to 350 for 20 minutes until it was brown and bubbling.

SO, I just shut down the Egg. I closed all the vents and let it go, checked it once after 15 minutes (the temp had died to 400) and then again at 25 minutes in and it was nice, brown and bubbly.....
IMG_6431.jpg

This was the second time I've made this recipe and just like the first time, it was MMMMMM MMMMMMM GOOOOOOD!
IMG_6442.jpg

IMG_6437.jpg

Thanks for lookin y'all!

Great Pie, That is not only comfort food but those pictures are comfort pics. They take me back to younger days and I can almost taste it. Great Job!

Looks great. Pot pie is one of my favorites.

But, question for you. I always have trouble when I vac seal smoked chicken or turkey. It comes out of the freezer with a real rubbery. It's just bad. Since I see that you used vac seal turkey, I was wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Outstanding pot pie. My only problem is we decimated 2 13# birds at deer camp on Turkey day. Next day was sammies and nothing left over for a pot pie like yours Wampis.
Maybe next year.

That looks great! I need to take my leftover smoked turkey out of the freezer to make these!

Question on the trinity: being from Louisiana, I always considered trinity to be bell pepper, onion, and celery. So is the orange stuff in your trinity orange sweet pepper or carrots?

EDIT: Never mind, I should have read the recipe.

that is some fine looking pie you've got yourself there. chicken, turkey, and beef pot pies have become a staple for my wife and i as of recent.

That looks great! I need to take my leftover smoked turkey out of the freezer to make these!

Question on the trinity: being from Louisiana, I always considered trinity to be bell pepper, onion, and celery. So is the orange stuff in your trinity orange sweet pepper or carrots?

EDIT: Never mind, I should have read the recipe.

You are right. Holy trinity is celery, onions, and peppers. He has a mirepoix which is the french version using carrots instead of peppers.

Looks awesome though. Think I have to try this one, just need some smoked turkey.
http://frenchfood.about.com/od/frenchfoodfaqs/f/mirepoix.htm

You are right. Holy trinity is celery, onions, and peppers. He has a mirepoix which is the french version using carrots instead of peppers.

Looks awesome though. Think I have to try this one, just need some smoked turkey.

Really? I did NOT know that. I mean I've heard onion, celery and carrots called a mirepoix (although I had NO idea that was how it was spelled :roll:), but I thought they were also called the trinity.

My bad.

Learn somethin new every day!

That's good looking pie there Wampus! What are those little green balls on the plate next to it?

Really? I did NOT know that. I mean I've heard onion, celery and carrots called a mirepoix (although I had NO idea that was how it was spelled :roll:), but I thought they were also called the trinity.

My bad.

Learn somethin new every day!

Its a french word, so its all screwed up:grin:. Its like the french trinity, so you are not really wrong. Just not totally right. To be honest, I had to look up the exact word and spelling. So I learned something today too.

Back