Defending $25/lb brisket

I don't really see any reason to defend the price. If the public likes it and is willing to pay, they will be a success.

I'd try it.

wallace

Is the guy running Delaney the same guy who bought John Mueller's old pit, from Aaron Franklin a couple years ago? I heard that the guy who bought the pit was starting up doing briskets.

$25 a pound isn't at all bad for brisket in New York, especially if he is in NYC proper. You just cannot compare cooking at home to buying brisket in NYC. A lot of folks there do not have the option to cook outdoors at all, many don't even have the space to have a gas grill.

I am not certain, but, I think most places in the San Francisco Bay Area are getting north of $20 a pound for brisket, good, bad or indifferent.

All I can say is, it sounds like alot of wasted breath talking about what someone charges at a bbq joint, if the que is good and people purchase the food and the business makes it..... that is what is all about:twitch: I for one am not opposed to someone making money at any business, but the main point is that all cost are relative to the area in which the business exists.... period... so your wasting time comparing a que joint in texas to one in NYC.... just sayin':der:

Hard to Get how this got worth 10 times the amount ??? ( But I get what Yer sayin ! )
DSC01524.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to Get how this got worth 10 times the amount ??? ( But I get what Yer sayin ! )
Well let's say you were actually gonna sell that brisket. For arguments sake you cooked it for 10 hrs. @ say a $10/hr wage. Rent is about 200 a day. Taxes & utilities add another 20. So now you're $350 in the hole before you open. Would you then charge $4 a lb?

In 1990, my studio apartment cost $1280 a month. It was great location, East 44th Street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue. I could not find good BBQ in NYC in 1990, so $25lb in 2012 sounds more than reasonable to me.

I am 550 miles away from new york city and the cost of liviing is outside of normal..My mortgage in my little town of 10,000 ....on a 2,300 sq ft home is what the city people pay for rent..and I sure enjoy my 3/4 acre of lawn to mow..but the guy charging 25 dollars apound is ppropbably making less profit than I am when I charge 11.00 a pound..

it's not in NYC proper, but Brooklyn. I've gone to restruants where I payed 30 bucks for a horrid steak. I'll pay 25 for brisket if its good.

If I lived in New York City I would have absolutely no problem paying 25/lb for good BBQ. If I could afford to after paying rent on 200 square feet.:shock:

Let's do some math here, you will be surprised what it cost when you or I cook the food.

This is KC prices, inflate as necessary to make NY prices.

12 pound packer at $3 per pound = $36

This probably actually yields 7 pounds of meat.

Fuel for the cook $6
Spices $2-$3
Paper Towels/Gloves/Aluminum Foil $2
Disposable Cutting Board $1
Cost for capitial expense of buying the Smoker Cooker, cutlery, temp control $5-$50 depending on how much you spent and how often you use it.
BBQ Sauce $2
Injections/Marinade $2

I am sure I am missing stuff, but we are at between $56-$100 for that 7 pounds of meat so between $8-$14 per pound of cost. That doesn't cover any labor, overhead or profit AND those are Kansas City Prices.

$25 in NYC for good brisket is a very reasonable price.

If brisket is $25/lb then buffalo hump ribs must be at least $200/lb. I'll stick with the brisket and save about $150. If I am in NYC and want good BBQ then I don't really worry about the price. However, that Jewish deli down the street also sounds mighty good. I wonder what they charge for a buffalo tongue sandwich. Wagh...sounds like fat doin's in the city.

Back