12 HR Smoked Pork Butt. (Pron Galore)

V-wiz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Thanks to all the help ive gotten from this site ive been successful at my first butt & overnight cook. Wednesday night i purchased a nice 8.2 pound butt from a local butcher shop, didnt need any trimming.

2n6g38l.jpg

Took out the spices and rubbed it everywhere

x5bjg2.jpg

4kh6rl.jpg

Prepared the smoker with Royal oak, 4 cherry wood and 1 apple. I also added 4 firebricks inside to help retain the heat as it was windy and cold at night.

2z6xk40.jpg

I started the fire at about 11:30 friday night. Loaded the butt inside. The alum pan has apple juice, the spices from the marinade and the natural juices from the butt that i guess let out while it was resting in the fridge?

2di0p3l.jpg

Soon after it started to look like this

2ly5y0m.jpg

1xh86.jpg

At about 2am it looked liked this.

25hffwo.jpg

24nipgk.jpg

mmm, the drippings.

10msumd.jpg

This was at 8:30 am. When normal people wake up :mmph:
By this the the IT was about 175, it had passed its stall.

2mqvjlt.jpg

2dw4xox.jpg

95u60z.jpg

Here it as about 10:30 approx 190 IT.

2gu04yg.jpg

At 12:30 IT was 200 and was probe tender like no other, ready to be foiled and wrapped into the container to keep warm.

k0ociv.jpg

Got my hands in there and tore that butt up.

1zdtzpy.jpg

mil2f7.jpg

So how was my first overnight cook? well i woke up every 2 hours to reload on coals. The wireless thermostat was set at 215-325. My small basket needed loading every 2 hours, the wind didnt help either. The butt was very good, the bark was fantastic. One thing i will do different is light up less coals for the minion method so i get the fire to gradually build. It was a tad bit dry, i think i may have cooked it too long? or the butt to begin with didnt have too much fat? Next time i will use the alum pan to allow the butt to bathe in the fat. Well i hope you are enjoyed it, i sure did.

Thanks.

Ain't nothing wrong with that! Very nice... :clap:

Nice looking butt and very nice photography too. Are you using a DSLR?

Nice looking butt, if you run the pit temp to 275 it would have been done in about 6 hrs and retained more moisture. at those low temps your warming it to death and drying it out over time.JM2C I'm a rookie I've only been doing this stuff for 32 yrs:noidea:

..... if you run the pit temp to 275 it would have been done in about 6 hrs and retained more moisture. at those low temps .....
It's better to do it "hotter and faster" instead of "cooler and longer"?
Hhmm...My target temp for just about everythign is around the 225 mark.
Based on this, maybe I should try 275???

Thanks!
Bob

Thanks alot guys. Yes i am using a DSLR, a 5D II. I was aiming for 275-300 but the lump went crazy right from the start, i used one to many lit coals in the basket so they all lit up very fast. I had to take some out and gradually put them back in. Next time... Thank u

Great job on the cook! And this is obviously not the first time you've taken pix - those are beautiful! You should go check out the throwdown section - seems to me like it'd be right up your alley.

Nice work all around! It'll only get better and better each time.

Great job on the cook! And this is obviously not the first time you've taken pix - those are beautiful! You should go check out the throwdown section - seems to me like it'd be right up your alley.

Nice work all around! It'll only get better and better each time.

Thanks alot budd, ive done the throw down once. I probably should get back at it.

Back