Awards Question

bbutts

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
On KCBS contests, do they read all awards to 10 places? (Overall, Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Beef)

I can't think of too many that ready the top 10 for overall. Usually top 5 or just RGC and GC.

For the individual categories, top 10 is pretty common, but many just do top 5.

It seems to correspond with how far down the organizer pays out. If they only pay top 5, they only read top 5.

Depends on the organizer. Sometimes top 5, 10 even 15 occasionally. Overall top 5 although sometime they only announce rgc and gc. I hate that

So top 5 overall and top 10 each category would be what you would like to see?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

So top 5 overall and top 10 each category would be what you would like to see?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

That works for me. The exception is at large comps. If you got 100+ teams, I think it could justify calling a little deeper into the field.

While we're on awards:

Do you prefer the complete announcement of each individual category (say 10th thru 1st) or the new trend of announcing 10th thru 2nd in each category then announcing all the winners at the end?

While we're on awards:

Do you prefer the complete announcement of each individual category (say 10th thru 1st) or the new trend of announcing 10th thru 2nd in each category then announcing all the winners at the end?

i don't think i'd like that at all.

Give the teams some props and read out to the top 10. Finishing in the top 10 is a major accomplishment for some teams. Let them get the recognition amongst their peers and give them some recognition. I also believe that most contests make the rewards too top heavy. Give 6-10th place something. Whether that is $25-50. Nothing major, but a little something.

I agree with scottie, but also I would love to see something for the overall 3-5 teams, doesn't have to be much, but those overall places mean consistency, you get that close overall and get nothing....

we pay to 5th in catagories, 3rd overall.

We read 6-10 as a group, then 1-5 to come up and get checks individually.

I think I have seen a guideline on this and it depends on the number of teams that are there. Like at the Royal they call top 15 for example.

Most contests here will call the Top 10 for all including overall, but trophies/money start at 5. 10 through 6 is a 'call' and 5 through 1st is a walk. A couple contests have given trophies through 10 in the categories, which is very cool, and one contest gave $50 for 10 through 6 which was nice. At least you could buy yourself some dinner afterwards.

I also don't like the top heavy contests. The Sam's club series is very top heavy with trophies and checks for top 3 only. They only called from 7 overall too, which was a bummer. Anyone in the top 10 deserves to be recognized and cheered on. We love to cheer on our friends as much as we like to hear our own name called. Ok, maybe not quite as much, but you know what I mean! LOL

Smokin Up A Storm Charity BBQ Challenge Awards Plan

Trophies and plaques will be event themed, custom made by Midwest Trophies in Midwest City, Oklahoma.

Each meat category:
Top 10 prize money and call out
Places 1 - 3 Trophies
Places 4 - 15 Plaque

Overall
GC, RGC and Top ten prize money and call out.
GC Trophy
RGC Trophy
Places 1 - 3 Trophy
Places 4-15 Plaque

Cash Prize and call out for Lucky 13

I personally like when they call all 10 up to the stage in random order and then once on stage they count down from 10. I have also seen a variation to that where they call from 10th to 2nd to the stage like above but leave 1st in the crowd and announce 1st right before moving to the next category. I would love to see more contests call 1-5 overall too.

I just want to hear the names called and dont rush through it like you got some place better to be. If you dont want to call 6-10, then dont call them, but dont call them all fast like it doesn't mean anything. Getting the award done in 12 minutes isnt something to brag about. Getting the awards started on time or earlier is something to brag about. if you want to get home or be done with the contest start the awards at 2pm on saturday.

the top ten
Give em a certificate, a photo op and of course the WALK
the middle of the pack team that gets a 8th place walk and thats it lives for these
If we want 50 team contests we have to take care of those teams

We always called top ten in categories here in Pleasant Hill but I like to hear myself talk so much that I called top 20 this past April! Actually, it was because we were up to 77 teams and top ten gets 67 of those teams not getting a call every category. Also, there were two teams in the 11 to 20 range that I had reason to want them to get calls. One I believe was a first call ever and one was to get the opportunity to tell the entire awards attendees what this team (E & D's BBQ) had done for Tammy and me in Mason City, Iowa last year after we got blown away in the storm while they walked up front for their award. Oh and it didn't hurt that after Todd took three straight first places, that we got to call him for 14th in brisket! LOL!

Back