View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
If I understand Carter correctly, I believe he does use a sectional style of sharpening, then he does what he calls stropping by doing the long single strokes (here's an example. Listen for him to call the long single strokes "stropping". Is this video representative of what he teaches in class? Check out 3:30 and following where he is using a sectional technique. At around 4:50 he "strops" with single strokes.
Yup this is basically the style he taught. Not sure why he says "strop" when using the same stone, but yes, he demonstrates that long (corner to corner) honing using long single strokes. I use the long stroke from start to finish now, but never really tried a hybrid approach of both sectional and long strokes. Something I'll look into.

Moving from German steel to Japanese, I struggled for awhile with angles. My thumbs suffered while I tried to maintain angles. I'll admit, I was scared of scratching the spine. Some of my knives are really nice and have beautiful Kanji or designs on them. Last thing I wanted to do was mess that up.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote