• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket UN-appreciation thread

I hate green bean casserole. HATE!

I am man enough to admit that I cooked around 50 briskets before I finally learned how to cook them. I love it now, but I also love to cook/eat tri tip. TT is about as easy of a cook that you can get.

<––––– Born in Texas, rasied in SoCal, college in San Luis Obispo (just up the road from the tri-tip capitol or the world, Santa Maria, CA)

My thoughts:
1. Saying you've had "properly prepared brisket" only counts if you've eaten it in Lockhart TX. There are plenty of variations of "good" brisket I gather comp judges do give awards for. Let's just agree that if you've never been to Lockhart, you're lacking in the credibility dept. when talking about brisket. No matter what the f-ing KCBS judges say...

2. Point & flat are real different – although they must be made together. The OP said "I think a brisket flat is one of the most overrated meats in the BBQ world." He didn't say brisket. He said brisket flat. He didn't say Sucks, Lousy or Hate. He said overrated. Fair enough. I feed it to guests who don't know any better, also.

3. I think of tri-tip as BBQ fast food. Quick, tasty & satisfying. Not very hard to fix. Perfect in many situations. Though not all.

4. Unlike brisket, no need traveling to the tri-tip's temple of lore to see how it "should be done." The locals poor salsa all over it quicker than you can say no. Idiots. (But the sourdough bread they serve it with is worth having FedExed.)

5. The most important ingredient to any prepared dish is Love. Brisket stands alone among beef cuts in that regard. The post below says it better than I can.

FYI – we had a neighborhood throwdown last year for about 300 people: my Texas style UDS brisket vs. my Santa Maria-born buddy's tri-tip – which is as good as I've ever had. I won. And there was leftover tri-tip.

Agreed with everything you said except (and you knew that was coming) item 1. Although we weren't known NATIONWIDE (in TX... lol), we put out some pretty darn good Q in a little hole in the wall in Port Arthur TX. And I put out a mean brisket now. I don't think you have to go to Mecca to figure out what you like and don't like... to each their own. Good smokin luck.....lol

I wish I could get my hands on Tri-tip more often, I like it too, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE brisket

<––––– Born in Texas, rasied in SoCal, college in San Luis Obispo (just up the road from the tri-tip capitol or the world, Santa Maria, CA)

My thoughts:
1. Saying you've had "properly prepared brisket" only counts if you've eaten it in Lockhart TX. There are plenty of variations of "good" brisket I gather comp judges do give awards for. Let's just agree that if you've never been to Lockhart, you're lacking in the credibility dept. when talking about brisket. No matter what the f-ing KCBS judges say...

2. Point & flat are real different – although they must be made together. The OP said "I think a brisket flat is one of the most overrated meats in the BBQ world." He didn't say brisket. He said brisket flat. He didn't say Sucks, Lousy or Hate. He said overrated. Fair enough. I feed it to guests who don't know any better, also.

3. I think of tri-tip as BBQ fast food. Quick, tasty & satisfying. Not very hard to fix. Perfect in many situations. Though not all.

4. Unlike brisket, no need traveling to the tri-tip's temple of lore to see how it "should be done." The locals poor salsa all over it quicker than you can say no. Idiots. (But the sourdough bread they serve it with is worth having FedExed.)

5. The most important ingredient to any prepared dish is Love. Brisket stands alone among beef cuts in that regard. The post below says it better than I can.

FYI – we had a neighborhood throwdown last year for about 300 people: my Texas style UDS brisket vs. my Santa Maria-born buddy's tri-tip – which is as good as I've ever had. I won. And there was leftover tri-tip.

I will go one further and I am loving this post here...

If the brisket you have been exposed to looks like this.. and I know it doesn't because you said flats...

then you are not judging the right cut to represent brisket as a whole... skip to 2:38

YouTube - ‪Pitmaster T's Quickies - Things I Love and Adore‬‏

Now in your defense there are people I have met who HATE well done meat... hate it... hate burgers, steak, fajitas, pot roast or anything that has lost its redness.

I've skimmed over it. Apparently someone has a beef with something? Is there a point to it? Someone get rubbed the wrong way? Maybe we should give it a rest, but of course any attempt to do that will most likely be foiled.

Yeah, there is a point to this thread. It was clearly stated in the OP, you must have skimmed over it :becky:

That's pretty funny right there, I would think many would argue that opinion :laugh:

Last edited:
I've skimmed over it. Apparently someone has a beef with something? Is there a point to it? Someone get rubbed the wrong way? Maybe we should give it a rest, but of course any attempt to do that will most likely be foiled.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::becky::becky::becky::becky::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hey G66...you still hanging onto that Wagyu brisket I left over there?

Yes, do you still have the meat grinder?

Why yes. Question: Will the planet rotate backwards if we grind it and mix it 50/50 with some Tri Tip? Or would that be ruining the Tri Tip?

Either way, I'm up for some burgers.

Why yes. Question: Will the planet rotate backwards if we grind it and mix it 50/50 with some Tri Tip? Or would that be ruining the Tri Tip?

Either way, I'm up for some burgers.

I personally wouldn't waste perfectly good tri-tip, but I think tomorrow is a great day for some Wagyu burgers :becky:

I personally wouldn't waste perfectly good tri-tip, but I think tomorrow is a great day for some Wagyu burgers :becky:

I'm down. It will be a nano-bash then...Think we can get any other Brethren in on the debauchery?

I "LOVE" Brisket, ribs (both beef and pork), Tri-tips, Chicken (but must admit I do chicken on my Weber 22.5"), A good steak (also done on the Weber), and a good standing rib, though again, have only done them on the Weber, but may have to try smoking one....and Turkey done in the Weber.... I also love a lot of other meats done in both the smoker and Weber....so, I am most definitely a meatosaurus!!!! :smile: :smile:

SteveT

I hate green bean casserole. HATE!

I am man enough to admit that I cooked around 50 briskets before I finally learned how to cook them. I love it now, but I also love to cook/eat tri tip. TT is about as easy of a cook that you can get.

I hate to use the word "hate", but I REALLY dislike my son's mother-in-law's green bean casserole, but I really like my wife's!!

SteveT

I like brisket, tri-tip, and porterhouse too much to grind up any of them for a burger. However, if it isn't my meat that is being ground up, my curiousity gets the best of me! What time is lunch? :hungry:

I like brisket, tri-tip, and porterhouse too much to grind up any of them for a burger. However, if it isn't my meat that is being ground up, my curiousity gets the best of me! What time is lunch? :hungry:

Not sure yet, but I'll let you know.

I'll throw in my two cents. BBQ brisket without sauce served with fresh sliced avocado and white bread is about as good as BBQ gets, IMO.

Back