• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Volume on sides

musicmanryann

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Doing a catering for a friends' wedding this weekend for 250+ people. I know how much pulled pork to make, but was wondering about how much to make for sides. I plan on making cheesy potatoes, macaroni salad and cucumber salad. Any ideas? I want to make enough for everyone, but not go overboard like I normally do when cooking at home.

Thanks!

I figure that the full depth, 1/2 pans hold one gallon of a side dish when it's level full. That's 128 ounces by volume. Assuming a 1/2 cup serving (four ounces by volume) that's 32 servings per gallon. 250 servings at 4 ounces each equals nearly eight of the half pans. Hope that helps.

It helps tremendously Brian! Now should I then make 8 half pans/4 full pans per side, or lower the amount assuming, since there are three sides, less will be taken of each?

Try Allrecipes.com enter in a item such cucumber salad and scale it to the desired number of guest.

Last edited:
Full steam pan feeds;
Cheesy Potatoes - 60
Macaroni Salad - 50 (60)
Cucumber Salad - 50 (60)
(If you just use a 3 compartment plate and dont give them a salad bowl).

A full pan will hold a bit more than two halves. It makes sense to back off somewhat with three sides being offered. People will run out of room on their plate. Use smaller serving spoons and the three compartment plate to help with portion control. Good luck!

When you guys talk about full steam pans is that the 2 1/2 " ones or the 4" deep ones ?

Back