• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Questions: Cooking a Buncha Pork

S

SmokeInDaEye

I'm cooking about 100 pounds of pork shoulder this weekend and have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help with.

1) How many pork butts come in a case?

2) Does anyone know what those blue plastic bags are Myron and a few others on Pitmasters use inside half aluminum pans when injecting (and where to get them)? Are they just clear recycling bags? I usually just inject in bus tubs but the less mess, the better

3) I can't visualize how much meat 13 or so butts cooked and pulled would be. Would it fit in four aluminum half pans to go in to a cambro?

Otherwise I should be good. Cooking on a 22" WSM, 3 18.5" WSMs and can bust out the Bubba keg or a couple Weber kettles indirect if I run out of room.

Here in Michigan I get 8 butts to a case, can't awnser the other 2 ??s for ya Clint.

one half pan will hold about 5 lbs of cooked meat... or are you talking while raw for cooking... that would be 2 butts in a pan, I have no idea about the bags, I would just injcet them in the cryovac if your really trying to stay ckean, and keep them in the bus tubs, and Ive only bought one case of pork, and it had 10 butts, around 80 lbs worth hope this helped

one half pan will hold about 5 lbs of cooked meat... or are you talking while raw for cooking... that would be 2 butts in a pan, I have no idea about the bags, I would just injcet them in the cryovac if your really trying to stay ckean, and keep them in the bus tubs, and Ive only bought one case of pork, and it had 10 butts, around 80 lbs worth hope this helped

Great idea about the cryo. Easy peazy.

I think I used to get two butts in a half pan.

Thanks Ray. Whatever won't fit in the cambro can go in a cooler. I'm shipping most of it off to some fundraiser then feeding a brithday/first communion crowd with the rest along with a bunch of ribs and a carrot to share.

I get my meat at Bj's wholesale and it varies from case to case - they usually run around 64 lbs to a case which could be 8 butts or last year when they were running small it could be 10-12

case price I get from BJ's is $1.09 lb for butts

RD in your neck of the woods got me a case of 8 butts, 2 butts per cryo. This was about 4 months ago, maybe 5.

The blue bags that Myron uses are XL-4 (Extra Large) storage bags that you can usually get at Walmart but you will have to go to the Sporting Department or the department where they have storage containers, you will not find them in the same area as the small storage bags and freezer bags.

I'm cooking about 100 pounds of pork shoulder this weekend and have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help with.

1) How many pork butts come in a case?

2) Does anyone know what those blue plastic bags are Myron and a few others on Pitmasters use inside half aluminum pans when injecting (and where to get them)? Are they just clear recycling bags? I usually just inject in bus tubs but the less mess, the better

3) I can't visualize how much meat 13 or so butts cooked and pulled would be. Would it fit in four aluminum half pans to go in to a cambro?

Otherwise I should be good. Cooking on a 22" WSM, 3 18.5" WSMs and can bust out the Bubba keg or a couple Weber kettles indirect if I run out of room.

It is alot to cook, you will have an advantage though since you only have one rack and don't need to worry about swapping racks like I do in my drum. Two to a pan is my norm, one on top if I run out of pans. Always have lots of foil on hand. Good Luck!!!!

Clint,

I was surprised to see Myron using the same bags we have used for years. They are XL Sized Ziploc storage bags. You can find them at Home Depot. (The XXL is too big.) Amazon has them too, but Home Depot is cheaper. ( http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Big-Ba...r_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1271990086&sr=8-3 )

Ah, I use those too for leftovers after a contest. Seems like clear recycling bags would work too if you're not carrying the meat around in them (fwoosh mod).

Decided I'm only injecting the butts for my son's party. I'm not wasting my #@%#* award winning pork injection on a #@%* charity event.

Back