Too early to talk Turkey?

Bigmofo300lbs

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So, the in-laws are coming for Thanksgiving. And my father in-law has requested a smoked turkey. Now I have never done this before and I have yet another reason why I can't go to the mall with my wife ("Honey, you want Thanksgiving dinner to be good right? I need to practice.). Any tips?

I was thinking that I would do parts (boob & legs) instead of a whole turkey. What you think?

Brine or use an enhanced turkey. Cook at higher temps 275 to 325º. Take the breast to 160º internal max, and the dark meat to 175º to 180º. I like cooking parts, got more control over the finish that way.

Here, here, on the parts thing. Do a tit or two and a bunch of drumsticks. white and dark to make everybody happy. And don't forget to brine.

I use Butter Ball turkeys and do not brine, it's part of their frozen processing. I did smoke a whole one in the Bandera sitting on a "Chicken Rocket". Pics in Photo section. It was good but not a great as the ones I offset cook on my old unit using the rotissery.

Go look in the archive by date leading up to last Thanksgiving. There are too many turkey threads to reference, but some great info there.

Me, I will smoke 2 or 3 whole turkey breasts (not splits) after injecting with marinade (Tony Chachere usually)

And you gotta fry a whole bird too.

I fed like 30+ last year, and sent everyone home with something, even the infamous Uncle Farker.

i have an herbal brine posted in the recipes section. Then injec the bird with a honey maple mixture. I've cooked them in the BYC, the bandera and the Wsm, and the bandera does it by far the best for some reason..

point though.. make one soon, get some practice with a whole bird.. last thing ya wanna do is wreck thanksgiving dinner.

Kapndsl reports good results using 3-2-1 on the drummies.
Scott is right--I love them done 3-2-1.
Same basic meat to bone ratio as Spares, so the technique transfers nicely.
Made a lot of dried out "Turkey Jerky" till I tried the wrap.
I put a picture in Photos-"Fruits of our Labor" section,
Fun!
TIM

Back