another brisket question

Depends on what I can get. My Sam's Club sometimes has really crappy packers and huge beautiful flats. The problem is it costs more to but a flat than a whole packer. Go figure. But I usually buy a packer if possible so I can make burnt ends.

Packers are for making corned-beef. Just kidding. I think flats have a tendency dry out too easily when just by themselves. Also, I like burnt ends. If you don't like burnt ends and you can cook a mean flat by itself, I say go for it.

they dont judge the burnt ends do they?

You bet they do. If it's in the box it's judged. I was talking to a judge in Waterloo - a real good guy and member of the brethren. I was going on and on about not needing to turn in burnt ends. He looked at me and said, "Judges REALLY like burnt ends." point taken.

Burnt ends are boss

Agree - but disagree.
My belief is that burnt ends only go in IF they make they are as good or better then the slices. One comp Don and I were debating just putting in the burnt ends and no slices because the ends were great and the slices were not - we didn't have the balls.

On a non-competition note, I wish I could just buy the points. The point trimmed and rubbed with just pepper is awesome - no sauce, no other rubs - just smoked peppered beef.

Good calll Bobby we have often thought of gambling sometimes but there is just too much invested if it doen't work

Agree - but disagree.
My belief is that burnt ends only go in IF they make they are as good or better then the slices. One comp Don and I were debating just putting in the burnt ends and no slices because the ends were great and the slices were not - we didn't have the balls.

On a non-competition note, I wish I could just buy the points. The point trimmed and rubbed with just pepper is awesome - no sauce, no other rubs - just smoked peppered beef.

I'm sure you are right, but I have never had a burnt end I didn't like better than the slices. Just too much awesome-flavory-deliciousness in every morsel to pass up! :wink::lol: I do agree with you about not having the cajones to only puts ends in the box, otherwise I probably would!

I heard you can get points from that one guy in KC. I can't remember his name, but I do remember you bought briskets from him before and his name starts with an S. lol.:confused:

Last edited:
Back