Pellet Poopers in STL?

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I got in contact with the manufacturer of Country Boy White Lightning oak pellets and asked about getting some of their product. They don't have a retailer in STL and said they would ship me no less than a ton. The good news is that it's dirt cheap, and I can get a ton shipped to me for under $0.20 a lb ($8 per 40/lb bag). I would probably only need about a quarter of that to get me through the rest of this year and the winter, so was wondering if any one in the St. Louis area would be interested in going in on such a pallet. If you are interested, please let me know ASAP as I'm offering to as many people as I can. If there's enough interest, I can probably get 2 pallets, and that might even be cheaper.

Inbox is full right now, but I'll get around to archiving soon and free up some space.

dmp

I know at least one person has tried to PM me. I should have room for PMs now.

dmp

Last edited:
I do know this, a local bbq store owner told me that he went to the plant where they make pellets and the difference between the cooking pellets and heating pellets are none, just the bag. they where using the same stock for both. st. louis must have a farm supplier that has oak pellets, is there a reason for wanting only country boy pellets?

You lost me here. Which location is "the plant where they make pellets?" AFAIK, the one in Kentucky that makes these only produces one kind, which are dual purpose. They make neither BBQ only nor heating only pellets. Some plants, like Bear Mountain do make both though.

I also disagree with your statement about there being no difference. Some heating pellets, like Bear Mountain's contain non-cooking woods, like Douglas Fir. Things you don't want to cook with. It is also possible for these heating pellets to contain chemicals that help the pellets burn or bind, which aren't food safe. I would never use a heating pellet to cook with unless I knew for a fact that it contained no such wood or chemicals. I spoke to the owner of the company that makes Country Boy pellets who told me that they are natural oak only - no other woods or chemicals. He also uses them to cook on his Traeger.

I will try to check with a farm supplier as you suggest, but when I spoke to the owner of this plant, he told me that there was no retailer in the STL area. As I already said, I would not use any old pellet unless I knew it had no chemicals. The only cooking pellets I have found locally so far are Traeger's.

As for only wanting country boy pellets, I don't. I would like to get some other pellets, and probably will, but these pellets are by far the cheapest I have found. Yeah I have to buy a pallet, but at $0.20/lb, no one else even comes close. The local Traeger supplier wants about $1/lb plus tax. I can get oak pellets from other manufacturors, but for much more money. So far, I've found oak pellets available in bulk ranging between $0.43-$0.90/lb (all prices after shipping). Mixed wood pellets are the same price, but solid non-oak woods start at that $0.90 level. I do want non-oak pellets, but I like oak. I've cooked on it a lot, and especially for this price, I wanna get a pallet of these. Anyway you look at it, these country boy pellets are cheap!

dmp

You lost me here. Which location is "the plant where they make pellets?" AFAIK, the one in Kentucky that makes these only produces one kind, which are dual purpose. They make neither BBQ only nor heating only pellets. Some plants, like Bear Mountain do make both though.

I also disagree with your statement about there being no difference. Some heating pellets, like Bear Mountain's contain non-cooking woods, like Douglas Fir. Things you don't want to cook with. It is also possible for these heating pellets to contain chemicals that help the pellets burn or bind, which aren't food safe. I would never use a heating pellet to cook with unless I knew for a fact that it contained no such wood or chemicals. I spoke to the owner of the company that makes Country Boy pellets who told me that they are natural oak only - no other woods or chemicals. He also uses them to cook on his Traeger.

I will try to check with a farm supplier as you suggest, but when I spoke to the owner of this plant, he told me that there was no retailer in the STL area. As I already said, I would not use any old pellet unless I knew it had no chemicals. The only cooking pellets I have found locally so far are Traeger's.

As for only wanting country boy pellets, I don't. I would like to get some other pellets, and probably will, but these pellets are by far the cheapest I have found. Yeah I have to buy a pallet, but at $0.20/lb, no one else even comes close. The local Traeger supplier wants about $1/lb plus tax. I can get oak pellets from other manufacturors, but for much more money. So far, I've found oak pellets available in bulk ranging between $0.43-$0.90/lb (all prices after shipping). Mixed wood pellets are the same price, but solid non-oak woods start at that $0.90 level. I do want non-oak pellets, but I like oak. I've cooked on it a lot, and especially for this price, I wanna get a pallet of these. Anyway you look at it, these country boy pellets are cheap!

dmp
I know getting into this conversation will start a fire but here it goes. I burn pellets and also used to haul sawdust to pellet plants, so I some idea of the process. I cook with OHP pellets. In these pellets there are no binders. Food Grade? No... there is a lot of hype here about that and I for one know that there is more petroleum in a bag of instantlight charcoal than you'll find in just about ANY pellet on the market. Oh, and it is safe for cooking food with too. Check the ash content , BTU's , and make sure their binding being used is "Lignin"(a natural agent found in the wood than acts as a binder).

I know restaurants who use these OHP pellets and I have been using them for a long time. I walk at every contest I have cooked in too using these pellets in my FEC 750. I think if you are going to cook with a home heating pellet you should do a little research to find out what is in the product. Some BBQ pellet makers will tell you that their pellets contain only hardwood. Well, Kingsford charcoal has a lot of other woods besides oak or hickory. The sawdust and Kingsford is all made in my neck of the woods and there is many other types of sawdust in the mix. I pay $3.50 for a 40 lb. bag of OHP pellets. You can get them at Orscheln's during the fall and winter months. Ask Brewmaster where he found the maple/oak pellets there in STL. I got some from him recently and they burn great and are cheaper than the ones you are trying to find.

Thanks. Like I said I would just not use "ANY" heating pellet. It depends on the manufacturor. I will certainly call up OHP to see what they put in their pellets, and if I don't find any bad info, I may go for it. I know some one in Pacific who will probably pick me up a bag from the Orschlen there if I ask too. I wanna talk to Brewmaster too. My Inbox was clogged when he last tried to PM me.

You mentioned in another thread that you generally buy pellets by the pallet and stock up. Considering what you've said about OHP and that price, does this mean that you wouldn't be interested in a piece of this pallet of oak pellets?

dmp

Thanks. Like I said I would just not use "ANY" heating pellet. It depends on the manufacturor. I will certainly call up OHP to see what they put in their pellets, and if I don't find any bad info, I may go for it. I know some one in Pacific who will probably pick me up a bag from the Orschlen there if I ask too. I wanna talk to Brewmaster too. My Inbox was clogged when he last tried to PM me.

You mentioned in another thread that you generally buy pellets by the pallet and stock up. Considering what you've said about OHP and that price, does this mean that you wouldn't be interested in a piece of this pallet of oak pellets?

dmp

A friend of mine who owns his own bbq restaurant is also a dealer of the OHP pellets. He has around 45,000 lbs. of them right now and they are only 6 miles from home. I have had good luck with these and trust them as well. I do appreciate it but these are cheap and already here. Orscheln's doesn't have any in stock or in the distribution center until fall. If you need some, PM me and I can get OHP for you here in Jefferson City, but you would have to come get them. OHP website

Just a note , and my 2 cents, OHP pellets are all hardwood 100% oak so you would get a GREAT deal on Oak pellets from them dmprantz.
I will add that oak and alder for the most part are the most plentiful woods available around the country for safe pellet cooking.
The other varieties, if they are a 100% variety, i.e. no oak or alder fillers like Traeger offers, are more expensive due to limited availability of those hardwoods. I will be the first one to say... Great deal! I have chatted with dmprantz before and he likes Oak so this is a perfect deal. But for some of us that like a different variety it will cost more. I prefer 100% hickory on most of what I smoke, so does the wife, so that is what I use. Yes it costs more but, I think it is worth the extra $$$ for the flavor. It is all in the taste and and your personal likes.
As far as heating vs cooking...
As long as the heating pellet has NO soft woods, or uses woods you wouldn't put in a stick burner, and has NO binders then really all is good.

EVERY pellet manufacture also adds oil to help keep the die lubed if the plant is making cooking pellet they use vegetable oil, if the are making heating pellets EXCLUSIVELY then they will use what ever is cheap. Though I don't know what could be cheaper then vegy oil. The amount per ton is minimal, insignificant.

Hope that helkps clear the air on pellets.
If anyone has pellet questions I would be more then happy to answer.

Thanks again to both of you. I just got off the phone with OHP. They say that their heating pellets are about 95% oak, and about 5% hickory, depending on how much they get from their hickory yards. All lignin binder, no softwoods or chemicals that they add (except for maybe the lubricator that Chris talked about). I would certainly be very happy using these pellets.

I also called Orscheln. The good news is that I can get pellets from them uber-cheap. It's actually about the same price as the Kentucky oal pellets, but no freight on top, so it's about half the price, or just over $0.09/lb. The bad news is that I can't pick those up until September! They also gave me the name of some one who might have some in stock now, but I'll check with that. I'll also call back to see about getting a pallet on my own, maybe it'll be cheaper. I may take you up on the offer for some pellets if I can't get any, but I'll have to wait until some one I know drives to the lake to get them.

Thanks all, The plan to buy (and share) a pallet is still on for me, it's just a
matter of when I buy it and how cheap it'll be.

dmp

I didnt know you installed a Pooper on your pit..

I'm still tweaking it, but yeah. I cooked some ribs and chicken with it this weekend that came out really good, but I don't think it officially happened. The other bad news, I used up the last of my pellets doing it:( You should come by some time and check it out. Ghetto, but cool:)

dmp

Never mind....

When I called Southern Kentucky Hardwood Flooring, they said no place within 100 miles sold their pellets, which is why I was gonna get a pallet. They guys at OHP pointed me to a place close by in Illinois that might have their pellets in stock. I called, and they didn't, but they do have several pallets of Kentucky Boy at $225 a pallet. Even with a high tax rate, that's less than $0.13 / lb! They also have the same price if you buy it by the bag...so I'm gonna go buy several bags of that, and probably order a pallet of OHP in the fall. If any one wants to part out the OHP pallet, lemme know, but I will not be ordering a pallet of my own. Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.

dmp

Hey Jim Fitz,
You ever use Fast Eddy's pellets? It's what I've been using, but I'm sorta "pellet stupid". Any opnions?

Try

Rural King as well. There is one in Waterloo Il. Kinda like an Orschlens or Buckhite...

I gotta admit...Chris' "perfect mix" pellets smell better than any pellets I've used. They just cost a lot to ship (which I realize is not cookinpellets' fault). I just can't afford to use them on a 12 hour smoke, so I use cheap oak for that, and save the perfect mix stuff for grilling burgers or shorter runs like ABT's or fatties.

Hey Jim Fitz,
You ever use Fast Eddy's pellets? It's what I've been using, but I'm sorta "pellet stupid". Any opnions?

Jeff, yes I have used Ed's pellets but I can get the OHP MUCH cheaper than Ed can sell them to me for and I don't have to travel far to get them. I only pay around .08 cents per lb. and Eddie's are a lot more than that.

Back