• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hasty-Bake heads-up @ Crate and Barrel

I have the Hasty Bake Gourmet and love it! I've not tried a long smoke on it but does great on reverse seared steaks and burgers.

Hasty Bake grills are severely over priced for what one is getting.

Hasty Bake grills are severely over priced for what one is getting.

Certainly one person's opinion. I think it's slightly nuts to spend $2,000 on a smoker box when you can get similar or better results on a $30 drum, myself.

:wink:

I made a decision to go back to charcoal for my main grill. The ability to raise/lower the firebed by 14 inches, while having a large cooking surface and lid, along with having working examples in the field that are 50 years old, at 40% off the price of entry, made it a relative bargain for me.

What I think is overpriced is a Traeger. Spent $930 all in on a Texas with cover, in six months the lid showed signs of rusting and one year in the fan cut out. No way could I say my six year old would inherit that grill, when that's a very real sentiment with the Tulsa-made Hasty Bake.

Has anyone every modified their hasty bake legacy to do low and slow in the 225 to 275 range? I don't own one (yet) but can't help but think there could be some modifications to make it more airtight.

The only thing that is detracting me from getting a hasty-bake legacy is that I hear it isn't that airtight causing higher smoking temperatures and waste of charcoal due to not being able to snuff it out.

Has anyone every modified their hasty bake legacy to do low and slow in the 225 to 275 range? I don't own one (yet) but can't help but think there could be some modifications to make it more airtight.

The only thing that is detracting me from getting a hasty-bake legacy is that I hear it isn't that airtight causing higher smoking temperatures and waste of charcoal due to not being able to snuff it out.

I would mosey over to the hastybake forums for that, or goog the fuse burn.

You don't need to "modify" a Hasty-Bake to smoke at 225.

The firebox is adjustable on the fly. There is a crank on the side where you can raise or lower the fire while you are cooking. (So you can quick sear a steak, then lower the fire to finish the cook). For smoking, after you build the fire, you lower the firebox ALL the way onto the ashpan. The unit comes with a deflector for the top of the firebox, and you put it on. Then take a disposable aluminum half size pan, fill 1/2 to 3/4 with water, and set on top of the deflector. Adjust the intake vents to barely open, the output vent to about half open, and Voila... 225 degrees. Cook your meat directly over the firebox/deflector (right side) as the other side is noticeably hotter because the air flow pattern changes with the deflector on.

If you are cooking brisket or other meat with lots of drippings, make sure you leave the grease drain system installed. The grates are angled, with a small channel below that causes the grease to drain into a grease cup on the outside of the cooker. Despite what others say, the system works if you just keep the channel clean. The reason I mention this is that they make an optional basting pan that you can install in place of one of the two grates. But to install, you must remove the grease drain channel that causes the grease to drain out of the cooker. All grease then falls to the bottom of the cooker all around the lowered firebox, where it can catch fire. Don't ask how I know this. :mmph: I do not recommend you purchase a basting pan.

Few more tips for you to use your new cooker AtlGater:

1. Foil your ash pan before use. You can just roll up the foil and throw it away for easy clean up.
2. Foil your deflector before use. Just trust me on this.
3. Only build a fire in 1/2 to 2/3 of the firepan on any cook. Cook with hot side and cold side. Most food cooks best by starting on hot side just long enough to get grill marks, then move to cool side and shut the lid. Few minutes later, amazing food.....
4. Make sure the cooker is level. If it is not, then the grease drain may not work.
5. Scrape the grease drain channel on every cook. My grill brush has an edge on the back for this. I just scrape the gunk out of the channel over the firepan before I light the fire, and the gunk is burnt up.
6. Use lump charcoal. Briquettes are very hard on cookers. The ashes absorb moisture from the air and turn acidic, eating up the metal. If you look at old cookers that are in the HB shop for repairs, you can easily pick out the ones that burned lump versus briquettes.
7. The empty space below the ashpan is an excellent warmer/holding area. You can put food down there even while cooking additional food. It will stay warm but not so hot to cause additional cooking.
8. Lower the firepan all the way when your food is done. The mechanism will last longer if it is not supporting weight 24/7. Put a bit of white high temp grease on the threads occasionally so that it continues to operate without much resistance.

And if you really want (I never have), you can buy some self-adhesive nomex tape and seal up the cracks in the lid and the door.

Any reason you would skip the deflector? Higher heat, worry about warping?

The same reason I do not use a deflector in my UDS... to give the meat an extra flavor... grilled.

A weber kettle is not a great smoking machine either, unless it is in the hands of someone who took the time to understand it and modify their techniques to match the cooker.

That's an awesome price and a good choice. We got a place in town where that's all the guy uses...he makes everything on his menu with the dang thing. I found one on CL recently for $200, but didn't get to it in time.

Hasty Bake

It is very easy to do a low and slow cook on the Hasty Bake with a fuse burn.
This setup will run about 10 hours at 225-250 degrees. Great for overnight cooking/smoking.

DSC01242.jpg

Couple of pork butts.

DSC01159.jpg

The finished product.

DSC01164.jpg

This fine cooker will run about any temp you want with the proper setup.

Dave

Any update? Still like and no buyers remorse?

I went to my local C&B to check it out. Seems to be a beast. I asked the lady if it was going to be on sale for the rest of the summer and she said she didn't know. Plus they'd have to order it from the WH so that instant gratification was absent.

Not that I need it but I kinda want it.

Any update? Still like and no buyers remorse?

I went to my local C&B to check it out. Seems to be a beast. I asked the lady if it was going to be on sale for the rest of the summer and she said she didn't know. Plus they'd have to order it from the WH so that instant gratification was absent.

Not that I need it but I kinda want it.

Sorry for the delay, I've been outside using the new grill. :clap2:

So, none at all. Got my firebricks delivered yesterday so will attempt a long cook one of these days, but have done shish kababs, baked potatoes, all kinds of veggies, spatchcocked chicken, pork tenderloin, those first night burgers, etc.

Using Meeco firestarter gel under a pyramid of Kingsford, whatever on hand. Ready to go in 15 minutes or so.

Delivers amazing wood-smoked flavor in just 30 minutes of cooking, finding skin-less veggies don't need much of that hot smoke at all before they're over-smoked. So I'm starting to quick-grill veggies with coals up to finish whatever meat I'm finishing. It is the most flexible grill I have ever used, and it's a keeper. A joy to cook on.

Will likely stop adding apple wood chunks (I only add one) when skinless veggies are on. Will report on a long cook when I get to it...

Thanks for the reply. I actually ordered one after watching all the YouTube videos and reading up on it. Love the fact it's been around forever and supposedly built like a tank. Love hearing the current owner talk about it and its history with reverence.

Plus $400 off and decided to go for it (with the wife's blessing). Should be here in a week and can't wait go get 'cranking':crazy:

I really think I could make some good use of one of these but my wife wants news floors. And she deserves them. So I'll jsut add this to my "prolly-never-gonna-happen" wish list : )

They've dropped the price another $200

And shipping was reduced, too. C'mon, a HB for $399?! :-o

Back