Cold Smoking in Vision Kamado or Smokehouse?

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
What is the most cost effective way to build a smoke generator for my Kamado grill. Thinking about smoking cheese, salt and of course bacon. So much information out there I am looking to the Brethren for you HO. Should I just build a smoke house? Maybe hang some sausages? I don't know anything about this cold smoke process, but I can build just about anything.
Thanks in advance!
Jed

I bought the Big Kahuna from smokedaddyinc.com. Used it for cold smoking salmon. It works awesome. It generates an incredible amount of smoke. I tried a maze cold smoke generator and could never get it to work that well.

I plan to smoke more salmon, and tire to cold smoke some bacon.

Because it is below freezing here right now, I am trying to manifold my cyberq and cold smoke generator together and use the fan output from the cyberq to also turn the air pump on the smoke generator on and off. Plan is to maintain the kamado at 55 F while I cold smoke.

Probably the cheapest is the one someone on here made from a seive.When I started I actually used a cardboard box and el cheapo hot plate.That evolved into my Ugly Plywood Box Smoker.

go to the dollar store and get a splatter acreen

cut the screen out of the center.

rool up the screen into a tube shape, use hose clamps to hold it in shape on both ends.

Make it about 1 - 2" diameter

pinch one end off

fill the open end with pellets.

Light it with a torch and let it burn for 5 - 10 mins

blow out the flame and put it in your smoker.

That or go get yourself a $5 soldering iron and a tin can. Drill a hole in the can at the bottom. Insert the soldering iron and fill the can with chips. Place in the bottom of your cooker and plug it in :thumb:

Cold smoke ???? continued

I am in South Florida, I don't think I can maintain a cool enough temperature for a cold smoke of such things like cheese or salts and I would be hesitant to try salmon. I do however have a walk-in refrigerator but I would need some way of segregating an area only for cold smoke. Also the temp in the walk-in is around 38 degrees. Is that too cold for a good cold smoke?

here's mine...

What is the most cost effective way to build a smoke generator for my Kamado grill. Thinking about smoking cheese, salt and of course bacon. So much information out there I am looking to the Brethren for you HO. Should I just build a smoke house? Maybe hang some sausages? I don't know anything about this cold smoke process, but I can build just about anything.
Thanks in advance!
Jed

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2363602&postcount=48

I use it for cold smoking cured Salmon & Sausages etc. in my 2 door smoker or place the sieve in my BBQ for pieces of fish or smaller stuff ..

works like a champ - make sure to light it from the bottom on one end to get it going.... :mrgreen:

Back